Thread: Super Sky Hook
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Lee-

That is a fairly impressive flame display for a B motor and daytime conditions. I mention that latter condition because at near-dark, a measly ol' A8 motor will put out a 'visible' flame that is really hard to believe for such a small amount of propellant. Larger motors, even more so under those conditions.

I've only flown one 'true' B14, but that was back in the mid-90s and it was so quick (no photographs either), I don't even recall any memory of the 'flame' at all. It was a '68 vintage Estes B14. Worked fine.

What model is that? By chance a Centuri (or Semroc) Arcon-Hi?

Earl

Earl, its just a scratch-built 2-stage. The rocket left the pad so fast that I would not have been able to tell you what the flame looked like! I saved a frame of the video that captured the flight.

This was at a beautiful soccer field in Denver area. Met and flew with Ed Mitton (Blastfromthepast here on YORF), and some of his fellow flyers, and a flyer friend of mine. I’ve known Ed from his blog and here for some time, but had never met.

The upper stage got its streamer tangled in one of the fins and landed in a sand pit nose down, and messed up the top 1/4” of the tube. I trimmed it and gave it a new paint job.

As I mentioned elsewhere, all my restorations are on my own rockets!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  AE2B3E96-D066-4946-B72E-E009FADD5E79.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  289.5 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp