View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 06:01 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Red Arrow Hobbies bought the SHR line from her (or whomever had rights to it, assuming it was her) and the remaining stock, and started revamping the line probably about 10 years ago... I visited Red Arrow Hobbies one time when I was up in Michigan from Indiana on a sweet black cherry/farm equipment run, and he was kind enough to show me some of the stuff he got from Sheri as part of the deal-- all of it substandard and "unusable"... He told me the story and was in the process of having NEW masters made by an excellent modeler; these were complete with the ACTUAL scale details and were extremely accurate-- VERY nice master he showed me, absolutely NO COMPARISON to the substandard "that looks about right" masters that Sheri had been using (for instance, the windows on her Gemini capsule were COMPLETELY the wrong size and shape, and the screw detail on the "shingles" on the surface of the capsule were all wrong... his NEW master corrected ALL those deficiencies and added a LOT of detail totally missing from hers...

I forget the name of the guy who ran Red Arrow - but I emailed with him quite a bit after he took over the Sheri's line. He seemed to be working hard to improve the kits - new molds and better quality cast resin parts, upgraded parts (e.g. he replaced the vertical struts for the Little Joe II escape tower with carbon fiber rod instead of the original plastic), that sort of thing. But then Red Arrow went under as well, and I understand he also stiffed many people who paid for stuff they never received.