View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I'll second that... I thought that a lot of this was overreaction and overreach. It didn't help that I dislike the MSM. But considering what the uncontrolled spread of disease would do to our healthcare system, some method for managing the rate at which the disease spreads seems prudent. We watched the number of flu cases in Italy jump by a two orders of magnitude in just a couple weeks. No telling what it's going to do over here. If you get hit hard by this bug you might need to get on ventilator support until your body fights off the infection - and there are only a limited number of ventilators available in your area. It would be a real bad day if you died when all you needed was access to advanced care like a ventilator. By social distancing, we're attempting to control how many people get sick all at once so that they can still expect to have access to advanced healthcare if they need it. Isolation may not keep us all from getting sick, but it might prevent a situation where you have crowds of sick people waiting in triage at the hospital.

Wolf, you've hit the nail on the head. All this stuff we read about tracking who's got it and keeping the thing under control is baloney. There are going to be lots of people walking around in the general population that have it. The REAL thing they're trying to do is to make sure we don't all get it at once, which will increase the death rate due to an overwhelmed medical system. My hope is that it will die out like flu viruses in the warmer weather. That would increase our chances of coming up with a timely vaccine.