View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 01:58 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Right off the bat I noticed the front end of a Piasecki H-21 helicopter with U.S. Air Force markings and an "Operated by Pan-Am" marking on the side. This is way up in Manitoba with the Canadian govt. in the early-mid 50's. <Artie Johnson voice> Verrrry interesting!

I knew the US operated BB's, but I didn't realize the U.S. Army reopened the Canadian site. The site was chosen in the first place because it was a Canadian military base. I wonder if the Canadian base remained open the whole time and supported the US Army research.

Sixty two BBII's launched through 1974.
Our Estes and FSI BBII's were the 3 fin A model. Did anybody kit a 4 finned B model?

Hey mojo1986, do ya'll really pronounce Nike as Neee-K?

I'm editing as I watch the video instead of making multiple posts....and Blackshire, I haven't read your entire post yet. I've jumped on that video like a Black Brant on eelgrasss!

Thanks Blackshire, that was a very good video. I wish all the major players would do a quality video of their sounding rocket families.
While I grew up calling the rocket (and the winged goddess of victory) "Nighk-ee" (with equal stress on both syllables), the correct pronunciation--"Nike" being a Greek word--is in fact "NEEK-ay" (with nearly equal stress on both syllables; the stress on the first syllable is slightly stronger than that on the second), and:

It's the same with Io (the closest of Jupiter's four large Galilean moons, named after one of the human mortal lovers of Zeus [Jupiter, to the Romans], who--seeing his wife, the goddess Hera [Roman: Juno], approaching--hurriedly transformed Io into a pretty white heifer, to hide what was going on; Hera [Juno] was not fooled by this imposture, and asked her husband to give her the white cow as a gift, which was the beginning of her bovine troubles...). Most Americans pronounce it "EYE-oh," but the correct pronunciation is "EE-oh" (some people called it "Ten," because Voyager pictures of the planet and its Galilean moons often used a sans-serif font--in all-capital letters--to indicate their names on the images, and in that font "IO" looked like the number "10"). :-) (There *was* a Jupiter 10 [written as "Jupiter X"] moon, now named Lysithea; until the 1970s, Jupiter's other, smaller satellites were known simply by numbers [like Jupiter V, now called Amalthea, after the nanny goat whose milk nourished the infant Zeus/Jupiter].) But (and no pun was intended in this line):

The most entertaining one--knowing the ancient Greeks'...shall we say, "lack of inhibitions" in this area (they would have laughed long and loud over this one [their shepherds and goatherds, who often lived in solitude, also honored the rustic, horned and goat-legged god Pan for teaching them, well..."manual joy department stimulation," to put it delicately])--involves the name of the seventh planet from our Sun. The correct pronunciation of its name, which is the name of the "grandfather of the gods" (the god of the sky, whom Gaea [or Gaia], the grandmother of the gods, created and made her equal, after she emerged from Chaos, at the beginning of all things), is "OOR-an-os." But in English, this Hellenic pronunciation becomes "Uranus," which sounds like two particular words (I'm sure that the Huntsville team, having progressed, like the outer planets' orbits, from Jupiter to Saturn in naming their missile and rocket vehicles, did not relish the name the *next* series of launch vehicles would have had, had they progressed beyond the Saturn family)...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR