Thread: Nerrf
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have been thinking about doing a clone, turning my own nosecones, etc. Are his tips for public use?

You can get just about all you need from JimZ's site: fin patterns, dimensions, etc. If you use a Big Bertha, Mike suggests cuting off the bottom of the nosecone to reduce weight. Also, use quality 3/32" balsa and try to get a 6" wide piece to make the booster wings one piece. Mike sent me patterns for one-piece wings; I'll ask him if I can share them.
The nose cones are a big issue: Semroc has balsa matches, and Moldin' Oldies has resin copies. I had the original Centuri kit with balsa cones and both gliders were bricks. I think the resin cones are too heavy as well. You could turn your own, or use Semroc's, and maybe hollow them out. Mike solved the problem with really excellent vacuum-formed copies. The blow-molded Bertha cone is also fairly light, and with the bottom cut off probably comes close. It's not quite the same shape, but at least now I can get a booster built fairly quickly.
Honestly, it's worth waiting for Mike's kit: the vac-formed cones, laser-cut fins, cut body tubes, vac-formed canopies, and thorough instructions. Mine came with decals, but I believe he had to stop including those; they were from Tango Papa anyway.
Drew