View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
The spin tabs on the rudders don't really make it spin. It's more like giant barrel rolls.

The R/C "2X" SpacE Plane i made, for C6 boosts, flies too fast for me to control the boost. What I did was to hold the ailerons (mixed elevons) hard over to make it roll a lot, to even things out. What I would suggest for the original model is to delete the spin tabs (GASP!), and arrange the elevons so that one is "up" by say 1/8" and one is "down" by 1/8", to make it roll. The key is to get equal up and and down angles. So, one up 3/16 and one down 3/16 also should be good, maybe better since it would roll faster. Maybe even 1/4" up and down. It will take a bit of tweaking of the mechanics to get the elevons to be that way for boost, but it is not really a big problem

BTW - bad news. At a launch last week I was doing a "routine" flight of the 2X SpacePlane. rolled fine on boost, as usual. I go to transition it for glide, and nothing, it just keeps rolling, al l the way into the ground. I suspect that the battery connector lost contact at liftoff. But the R/C gear was working after it crashed, so the lost contact was intermittent (so, it did not get unplugged). The model is repairable. The biggest issue right now is one servo arm broke, and I do not recall what servos are inside there (permanently glued), so that I can identify exactly what brand and size of output arm needs to be replaced.

- George Gassaway