View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's the opposite of what DSL used to advertise against cable. They used to claim consistent performance vs. cable only being fast in off hours when demand was low.

I don't think it's system load that causes our inconsistencies as there's really no pattern to it. Often it's just a complete dropout for a few minutes — just enough to cause whatever we're streaming to go off and sulk or web pages to just stop.

We do have one extra living with us right now — 40-year-old kid — so there is more streaming now.

The basic Starlink kit arrived today. The box took a little corner damage from FedEx on the way, but everything inside looks just fine. It is packaged nicely so that things can't rattle around and yet easy to get to, without a bunch of fiddly bits of packaging to deal with.

I should take a picture or two of the antenna, which is bigger than I expected, but clearly smaller than the original version that John got. Maybe I'll pose it with a Big Bertha or something.

The rest of the bits I ordered are projected by FedEx to be here between tomorrow and next Thursday — four items, four packages (odd, that). A rooftop pole mount is also on its way from Amazon, and right now it looks like next weekend might be when I do the installation. I keep trying to figure out how I can set it up and test it without doing the full installation, but it needs to go on the roof near the south end of the house in order to get the sky view it needs (per the app) and there's really no place were I can put the antenna on the ground on the stand it comes with that is open enough between trees and neighbors' houses and fences.

More when there is more to tell. Gotta go stage some things to run a launch for some Cub Scouts tomorrow — on what will be the hottest day of the year so far.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE