View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
The_Ripper

Default Pop-and Go, Passport, Direct Staging Estes D Motors

What's your favorite method?

I removed the fins from the attached drawing. The booster airframe is 8" long. The black line is where the booster meets the sustainer. Both stages use Semroc LT-125 for the airframe. The blue tubing in both stages is a 5.5" piece of Semroc LT-115 that slip fits into the LT-125. The purple inside tube is a coupler made from LT-115 that is 3.5" long and has 2" bonded in the booster and the other forward 1" is what couples to the sustainer. The coupler is butted between the face of the forward centering ring in the booster and the face of the rear centering ring in the sustainer, the mentioned centering rings are positioned in such a way to accomodate the coupler. All the red parts are Semroc 24mm components.

If I can find an F100-0 to use for a booster motor and an F100-8 or 10 for the sustainer I'll eliminate the Semroc 24mm adapter parts in both stages ..... but I am currently planning to use Estes D12 motors in the booster and D12 or E9's in the sustainer because they are readily available.

So, what's your favorite staging method for this application? I can't tape the motor together as with direct staging. It's fairly small diameter airframe tubing with D motors in each stage. Should I extend the lower 24mm motor mount so the upper stage motor can plug directly into it or so the 24mm motor mount in the booster and sustainer when assembled butt up against each other? I don't think a 1/4" Passport hole in the 24mm mount would help much in this design since the coupler is so long, it doesn't seem like it would vent much before coming apart.

The original design used 29mm Mini-Max PB "F" motors and I think those were 7.75" long so my guess is the original was probably direct staged with the motors taped together. I have all the parts to build it (Thanks Semroc )and I only need to cut the sustainer fins and then I'm starting construction. Please don't ask what this rocket will be ..... it's a surprise (It's not the Sonic 36)

Any and all suggestions are appreciated and I'd like to know about your experiences.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Staging.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  44.8 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates