View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
AS-204 (Apollo 1) CSM. Definitely different. The K-29 came out in the 1967 catalog which means it was modeled after Apollo 1. I don't know if the instructions were modified for later models. I am assuming the instructions were to paint the whole SM silver like the K-36 Saturn V.

Edit: I looked at JimZ's. It seems it was modeled after SA-201 (unmanned) going by the introduction date and the SA-201 photo in the instructions, but decals were modified as the years went by. The decal set on JimZ's shows SA-207, which was Skylab 3.

Well, I found something interesting about the Estes decals with the original 'Uprated Saturn 1' kit.

I have an original kit (shipment box post marked September 6, 1968) and the decals (and instruction sheet!) show SA-207 as the mission number!

A scan of the decal is attached.

I looked too at the original instruction page in the kit for placement of the decals, and where the mission decal goes at the bottom of the black tanks on the first stage, the instructions show, in fine print, "SA-207". Again, these are original instruction pages as came with the kit when introduced in 1967.

So...it would seem that from the first releases of Estes kit, they were denoting a 'future mission' of some type.

It would appear then that the decals on JimZ site are, in fact, the ones from the original kit. I have a later, but functionally the same, Estes 'Saturn 1b' kit, but the decals are still sealed in their parts pack and I don't really want to open them.

Stefanj, what mission is denoted on your 1974 decal sheet? Is it also SA-207?

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Uprated Saturn 1-Original.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  156.3 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970