View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Nice flights...that Saturn 1b scoots pretty good. I assume that was a four C6 cluster? A very audible 'sigh of relief' on the video clip! I assume that was you?

Good flights and thanks for sharing! I did not get a chance to fly anything, so it was good to see other's flights at least.

Earl

I had flown the Saturn 1b twice before (4 x B6-4, 4 x C6-5) successfully before, but since then I finally went through the trouble of a) making the escape tower, b) assembling, painting, and applying the fiddly bits like the antenna panels and attitude jets, c) PAINTING the model.

I also had to make a repair, or reinforcement: There was a slight wobble between the fuel tank cluster and the upper section. So I punched holes in the bulkhead in front of the tanks, and epoxied four little dowels through the holes and into the ditch between the tubes. These were covered by the antenna panels.

So there was even more invested in it. (Although I didn't fly it with the escape tower!) I was as nervous AF, as the kids say. I pictured the totally-possible scenario of only two (or one!) model igniting and spinning.

As it was . . . yes, a really zoomy and smoky flight, with a soft landing in the grass. Not a scratch on it.

I have the Apogee 1/70th Saturns and will build them eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tower_primed.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  841.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  antenna_yellow.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  991.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  repair_done.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  1.10 MB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM