Thread: Back to India.
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Well, apparently I lost a bet that I don't remember making--cuz' I'm headed back to Southern India on 3-7 to do some work.

The first time I was there I had access to YORF, but the last two times I didn't, so I may be out of the loop for a couple of months.

If you're curious, I'm going to Tiruchipalli (or "Trichy"--to the locals) in the state of Tamil Nadu. It's about 10 degrees north of the equator and it's never below 95 F day or night.

Desparate poverty, malaria, typhoid, dengue fever, cholera, rabies, and accidents are pretty much the norm there. I've never gotten sick or injured there fortunately--but ONLY because I'm very careful. When I was there in 2010, the guy I was working with ate "something bad" and was so sick he could have s**t through a screen door at 50 yards.
I was there in 2008 for 2½ weeks. Was all over the country from Noida down to Mysore. I too got something bad right before I left, and was fighting it for a few days upon returning.

Nevertheless, it was a good experience for me. The arid region of the south was largely devoid of trees, so all their construction was masonry. Where here, when I was a kid, dads bought us hammers and taught us how to nail, over there, everybody learns how to trowel

Doug

YORF member #11