View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
Does anyone have a good method to replace a landing strut on a mars Lander k43 ? As you can see from previous post I now have two of them, but I only need one.

Is it broken off where you can splice a new leg on, or do you need to access the hinge tube?
If you need internal access, the first step for you is to download the Semroc plans so you can get a good look at how the kit was put together and see what you will be getting into if you access the hinge. The Estes kit was assembled the same way, but the parts weren't laser cut.

http://www.semroc.com/Documents/pdf/Mars%20Lander.pdf

You will have to remove the aft bulkhead to get to the structural centering ring that the rubber bands attach to. You will need to decide if you want to sacrifice the bell nozzle and/or aft bulkhead and remove accordingly. You now have access to the structural centering ring. You will either have to cut a window into the centering ring or remove it completely. Looking at the exploded view, you can see the triangle braces and the thrust ring that all serve to beef up that section.

Once you've got your new leg in place, fabricate the parts you've destroyed and reassemble. Better yet, buy a Semroc kit and use the needed parts from it, or if the parts are available separately, order and use them.