View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Yes, indeed, this is great news! WFK!

I just compared it to the E9. Same length case. E12 has 2.5s burn time vs 3s for E9. Both have sustainer portion of curve at ~10N. Both are ~36g of propellant (ie, no mailing).

The key diff is that the E12 has a 33N initial thrust spike vs 20N for the E9. So the E12 is very much like a longer burning D12 with a similar initial kick.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some of these! This is really exciting news.

Doug

I don't quite follow this...

The D12 burn duration is 2.7 seconds, is it not?? The E9 is 3 seconds, correct?? So the E12 is now 2.5 seconds, with the same peak thrust as a D12?? How is this a higher performing motor (IOW an "E" motor) if it has the same DURATION as a D12 and the same peak and average thrust as D12?? I get it that it's a LOW END "E" motor, so it's not going to be double the duration of a D12 at the D12's average and peak thrust levels to be a "full E", or that it has DOUBLE the peak and average thrust for the same duration as a D12, (or some combination thereof) but I don't follow how this is an "E" motor if it has the same burn characteristics as a D12... and the D12 at 17N/s isn't a FULL "D" motor either...

I must be missing something... Last I heard though, thrust times duration = total impulse (motor letter class) later! OL JR