View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 01:36 PM
Craftsman

Default R/C Russian Buran Shuttle Rocket glider

To close out the year, I designed/built this yesterday, a simplified Buran shape, with a slightly enlarged wing, approx 1/72 scale, 18" wingspan, 21" length, 8.2. oz ready to fly using an E-6 longburn Aerotech composite rocket motor. Construction roughly follows the old Estes 1385 Columbia, but using 6mm and 3mm depron for the wing/side plates and tail, a BT-80 tube for the body and I cut out the rear of the tube to simulate the special oms pods that the Buran had. I laminated 10 pieces of 6mm depron with the cockpit/nose shape then carved/sanded to shape, then glued it to the front of the wing and glued a 2" long coupler and 1" piece of body tube to make the shoulder of the cone so it was removable to access the battery. Worked fairly well. I ran out of black/red to complete the cockpit windows and buran/cccp text but it was good enough for video today. CG and trims were spot on, here are the first three flights. Had about a 6-7mph headwind so it would do sort of hover decents to landing. On the first flight I was trying to make it to the grass behind me but I misjudged slightly and the wind quit right above the runway causing the plop landing, but there was no damage. Next two flights were as planned.

Flight Video

https://youtu.be/7KenhQhwVcQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20201231_110533023.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.55 MB