View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Shockwaveriderz writes:

What are the reasons behind Estes being sold?
We are selling because I am tired of working and want to enjoy the rest of my life with my wife and family-I have been here for 19 years-it’s enough.

What were the reasons for Estes's failed attempt at composite mid power? Was it clashing egos and personalities? Will Estes ever again come out with composite mid-power (EFG?) rocket motors.
We couldn’t make money doing composites-the only way we could make money was by automating it and then the quality was going to be a problem.

No to the relaodables.

Has Estes ever considered reloadable BP or composites?
No—BP reloads would not be where we want to go and the safety would be an issue.

Has Estes ever considered separate product lines for Kids versus adults?
We do now but we are not so loud doing it—we make products for all ages as long as it is over 10 and 12—as for adults many already buy our products.

Why can't Estes design sales programs and products for 2 different markets at the same time? For example the mass merchandise market and the Hobbyist market. We make products for both markets—the sales seem to indicate that-what we insist on however is volume—when I sell I have to have 100,000 units to make a product interesting to us.

Ddmobley writes:

I would like to know if Estes has any plans for scale re-releases, such as the Saturn V, Saturn IB, and the Maxi-Brute series.
Yes—this summer and then the fall-watch for them please.

Doug Sams writes:

I don't really have a question, but I have a couple comments. I wish Estes would run a batch of 1/2A boosters and put them in the channel. I wish there were some high thrust motors such as B14's and D20's. And maybe E30's, too. I'd love to see another run of C11-0's and C11-7's as well.
I would love to do everything you want but we are encumbered by safety and volume—can’t do it all I am afraid.

But I'm not holding my breath. I do understand marketing reality, and don't want to ask for the unreasonable. If it doesn't make economic sense, then that's that. Nevertheless, those are my wishes.

I want to show my gratitude as well. I have a blast flying the motors currently available. I'm glad to have D12-0's and B6-0's along with E9's and all the rest. I'm glad we have the variety we do, and I look forward to flying them for years to come.
We try—and will in the future-when we get a request we try to do it –but it isn’t always realistic and sometimes unsafe.

West Shore Rockets writes:

Why is Estes now, after all these years, suddenly care what the hobby community thinks? Estes has shown, at the best, uncaring ignorance, and at the worst utter contempt for this community. Now, all of a sudden, they care what we think? This sounds like a very poor attempt to influence potential buyers showing that they have the support of the hobby community, and that this support will easily transfer to the new owner.
We are not changing at all-the company is for sale and the rumors were absurd so I decided to place context around them—what I do and say here will have no effect on the company value and future-the people who are going to buy it are business people and that will be the reason why they buy it or not—we have a line of interested parties.

Billspad writes:

Does Estes have any plans to move production of things other than motors to the United States?
Yes—three years ago we started to make plans in this area.

GregGleason writes:

1. Does Estes plan to reissue Large Model Rockets (e.g., Honest John, V2)?
Yes.

2. Does Estes have a corporate presence at major NAR meets (I attended NARAM 49 for one day and saw FlisKits, BMS, Semroc, but saw no Estes on the day I was there)?
We did not.

Evil Ed writes:

Dear Mr. Tunick,

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, and I hope this will be only the first many such opportunities.
You’re welcome.

What are the future (short term) plans for your engine (motor) market, in regards to new propellants, casing dimensions, etc?
We have been working on a new propellant-I am certain you have heard of it—Barry powder-it is in the works and we are trying to get it right.

Again, thank you very much for your time.

EchoVictor writes:

Mr. Tunick,

What is the current and future status (on-hold, production plans, not gonna happen, ....) of the Shrox designs (Estes Daedelus/Shrox Icarus, Estes Lancer/Shrox Stiletto, and 3 other rumored designs) and will there be any Estes/Shrox collaboration in the future?
I don’t know—the guys who are the experts and Shrox have a disagreement about the stability of the rockets—I can’t comment any further as I would be outside my expertise here.

Jerry Irvine writes:

My questions are:

1. Will you please release a 24mm E9 casing D20 (0,3,6,9)? I am willing to raise the initial $5000 net order.
Huh?

2. Will you please have all solid propellant BP motors DOT classified as exempt unclassified based on low burning rate and 25kg limit per box so you can make more variety and ship them easier? Note well they are for technical work purpose not a "pyrotechnic display purpose".
You think we have any sway with the agencies—we beg they decide-I have no more sway with them than the ice cream man - believe me.

3. Will you please propose the USPS item limit be raised to the FAA 125g limit?
Sorry, same answer.

4. Will you please make an ejection charge module as a separate product for dual deployment use?
Not safe and we don’t have the technology to do that—wish we did.

5. Will you please disclose third party dip kit style igniters as approved for use with your product, so long as you do not also accept liability for their usage?
This is legal - I can’t comment.

Stefanj writes:

Another "Thank You" for showing up to answer questions.

Any plans for new educational products / outreach / support programs?
We have programs in 30,000 schools and too many programs to go into here –we just came out with 57 new curriculums for schools that we give free with our bulk packs.

Cas2047 writes:

Does Estes find it increasingly difficult to operate and make a profit due to Federal and State regulatory requirements/restrictions?
Yes and to even come to work some days-the new laws are not designed to protect kids-they are gotcha for companies and are impossible to comply with over the long term—every company in the US will have to and none will be clean and fear free—this is like a Kafka novel.

Where does Barry see the hobby 5-15 years out? Does he see growth, or does he see decline due to competition with everything from video games to television?
No I think the hobby will be fine 15 years from now—better than now and stronger—we are counter programming to the computer—we are reality.

Flygrimm writes:

Mr. Tunick,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the hobbyist group of Estes customers. I would like to know if Estes plans to re-release some of the older Centuri designs. I am most interested in the 1/45 scale Apollo Little Joe II. I also liked many of the futuristic kits like the Estes Andromeda.
Yes—and maybe to all—we are doing the classics line right now.

Ghrocketman writes:

1) I know drilled core-burning B14's are out of the question (unfortunately), but is there any chance that the C5 and B8 series of engines will return?
I think most would gladly give up the B4-2 and/or B4-4 if we could get the C5-3, B8-5, or B4-6 back.
We make what is safe-a real fetish of mine.

2) Are the "Classics" previously announced still on schedule for a summer release this year?
No—they will be late by three months—the time to get them tested.

3) Any chance of a "pressed core-semi-port burning" 24mm E engine that has more average thrust than the E9 that will lift what most expect out of an "E”?
The current E9 will send small diameter rockets quite high, but cannot be safely used in "Maxi-Brute" style rockets.
Not now.

THANK YOU for your time to answer our NUMEROUS questions!!!!

Rocket Doctor writes:

1. When the company is sold, will it have any impact on motor production?
None.

2. When can we expect the Classic Series and other new kits to arrive?
August for the classics and the fall for the others.

3. Will there ever be a catalog produced again?
Web based—we are saving trees—let’s say the decision to be green was not directly mine.

4. Will Estes send a rep to NARAM 51 or at least info packets?
Packets but they will not tell you anything—by NARAM we will have announced all the new products to our accounts and everyone will know about them and it is too early to tell anyone about 2010.

5. What do you think about forums and its members?
I have no opinion-I have never visited the forum-don’t know how to get on and I still don’t know what a thread is-as for the members I don’t know any of you how can I have an opinion—I do know two—Scott—seems like a really nice guy and Ken—who is a really nice guy.

Scigs30 writes:

1. Will Estes ever bring back the Forums so we can discuss and display Estes builds?
We can use this.
2. Will Estes ever sell individual parts again?
We do now but they have to be tested and passed-they are on the list
3. Can Estes post dates, when and where they are going to show their display models?
We should do that and we will in the future.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558