Thread: SA- 5 and 7
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Having kits not include tubes makes even less sense than not including decals.
"Short" kits are a PIA.

I think Boyce not including tubes is a great idea.

This massively cuts what he spends on inventory, massively cuts down on his required storage space, markedly decreases the size and variety of shipping boxes he needs to stock, and cuts down on shipping costs. Final benefit is that he's not restricted to only offering kits with tube sizes he has to buy in big volume.

I compare Alex to NCR which pretty much concentrates on 2.6" airframe tubes because that's what Matt has to buy in volume. Similarly, his shipping boxes are pretty much one size, so kits are designed with that in mind. Storage space of all those tubes is a significant issue.

I think Alex and Sheree Boyce have done a great job of redefining the business model for large scale kits. They concentrate on producing great parts, way better than the old resin casted parts. Their idea to pre-sell enough of the Nike Hercules kits to be able to purchase very high quality 3D printers was brilliant. The cost/quality of their new parts is just amazing. And not including tubes is another great idea. Let the tube guys sell tubes and they will just concentrate on making parts.

Steve