View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Wonder what year it was from ?
Enerjet engines were first available in 1971.
The first and only catalog of Enerjet kits was 1972 although the products were available through at least 1976 and possibly early 1977 through Centuri.
A local hobby shop in my area had a huge stock of boxed Enerjet engines available through the 80's but they were always expensive for the time.
8 bucks for an F engine in 1987 was considered very costly.

Best I can tell, this must be from around the late summer or early fall of '72.

At the top of page two of the brochure, the text makes reference to "At this year's internationals....". Though the word 'internationals' is a bit of a misnomer in this context, I think they are referring to NARAM (14, I believe), which that year had been held in Seattle. There, Enerjets were given a fairly big run of demonstration flights, several of which were record attempts (see Enerjet News #3 from Sept 1972 here: http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/ejn03.htm).

Pretty sure that is the event being referenced in this particular Enerjet brochure. So yeah, I think late summer or so of 1972 would be a pretty good guess.

Anyone here have any first hand (or even second hand) information about working with or around Grant Boyd? I've heard a number of anecdotal information or stories about other Centuri staffers over the years, but I don't think I've ever heard any about Grant really, save for a quick story from a former Centuri motor plant staffer who went out once with Grant to test fire an Enerjet cluster rocket outside Phoenix. That's about it. Any other stories from or about Grant would be appreciated.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970