View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Note that you don't just buy any receiver to use with just any transmitter.

The receivers on that page are AM, and FM. The AM ones imply very short range "indoor" type models (other than for cheap "toy" type models, like say Air Hogs, I do not know of any modern AM RC airplane transmitters).

The FM receivers from that link might also be of limited range. Although a real life range of 1000 feet is practical enough for A-B size gliders since they are so hard to see to control at a distance beyond 800 feet or so.

2.4Ghz spread spectrum radios have taken over the market now. I use Spektrum brand. So I use either actual Spektrum receivers, or spektrum-compatible receivers. But it has been awhile since I shopped around for very light receivers.

For some A powered R/C R/G's, I used "brick" receiver servo combos, with worm drive. Such as this one.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/eflite...flu6807/p708463

It can be a bit tricky to implement. The models I did used composite foam wings, with a rectangular opening cut into the center to mount the "Brick". And the wing was too thin to contain it completely, so the worm drive servos hung out into the breeze a bit. For battery power, this can use a single 3.7v Lipo, as small as 30 mAh capacity, but I prefer 70 mAh most of the time for this kind of system.

For models a bit larger, at some point it is safer to use 7.4V battery power (and indeed some servos or receivers won't work well below 4.5 volts or so). Note 7.4 volts is two 3.7V Lipos in series.

WARNING - 7.4 volts will FRY a lot of servos rated for 5-6 volts. Usually, the feedback potentiometer burns. The Dymond D-47 servo is rated for 7 volts, and I've used those for everything C power or above the last 12 years. But if a person does want to use 7.4V Lipos with servos not rated for 7 volts, a 5V regulator could be used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  eflu6807.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  17.6 KB  
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer