Thread: Vashon Baron?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 10:56 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

Don's instructions are great and they do contain the dimensions of the fuselage for both Baron and Gnat. Mine will have spruce fuses and I've dug out the Monokote and iron. The Monokote worked great on the X-13 I already built so I'm looking forward to using it on these two.

The Astro-Gnat is a V-tail with a ten inch wingspan and what appears to be a 2:1 taper, swept leading edge/straight trailing edge planform.

The Baron is a twin tail with a twelve inch wingspan and an apparent 2:1 double-taper planform. I'm not sure about the 2:1 as it might be less. It also has built-in negative stab incidence on a double taper stab.

Here's the ninfinger link to the Estes 1973 catalog: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...73/73est46.html

So, if someone's got one or both in a box, we need wing and stab dimensions and the dihedral jig dimensions and we've got what we need to recreate these. If I were guessing, I'd bet the wings were 3/32 balsa with a 3" center chord on Baron and 2.5" on Astro-Gnat. Stabs were 1/16" balsa

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7