Thread: U.S.S America
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Graig,
Thanks much. I'll run down there this weekend and check it out.

I got my tubes and started working last night. Sorry no pics yet as the camera batteries were dead.
I cut all the tubes to length using a L shape jig made from 2 pieces of 1X3 wood and a single edge razor blade at one end and a clamped block the required distance from the blade. I'm sure you all have seen or have the jig I'm talking about, but will take a pic of it anyways.

The only tube that is out of the norm to find in your stock is the Centuri ST-10 tube. It is a bit larger than a BT-50 and can be purchased from a number of vendors. The other tubes are a BT-60 for the main body, a BT-5 for the ram jets, and of course a BT-20 for the motor tube.

I strayed from the plan and made the main tube from a single piece of tube rather than 2 pieces. I plan on using an RMS motor in this rocket as well as BP motors and the design has a baffle in it. I was not sure if you can use a baffle with the RMS due to the red cap that blows off the ejection charge. I thought it may damage the baffle and so I left it out and will just use wadding.
The fit of the plastic parts from Moldin Oldies was perfect and as I said before with just a bit of finish work will be as good as the original blow molded parts.
I was also toying with the idea of making this rocket with a 24mm motor mount rather than the 18mm, but decided to keep it closer to original as I can use 18mm D reloads to up the thrust if needed.

I guess that's about it for now. Batteries are charged in the camera now, so I'll get pics tonight. Next step will be to laser cut the wings/fins and centering rings, and then glue it all up!!.
Hans