View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

The MPC Lunar Patrol was my first successful glider model. I tried an Estes Falcon, which on flight 1 death dived into the ground. After repairs, flight #2 shredded to bits on just a B motor.

For the Lunar Patrol, I painted one glider fluorescent blue, the other fluorescent red. My first ever contest, in Atlanta in 1971, I used that for B or C Boost Glide. I wanted to say time the red one, but they said they would DQ it if both gliders came off (My first exposure to the "DQ anything unusual" mentality by some contest officials). So I taped the blue one to stay on. It did not win of course, but may have taken 3rd or 4th (maybe out of 3 or 4 fliers, unless someone DQ'ed).

I got a "wee bit" better with gliders after that....

My 1974 fleet for NGRM in 1974. They sure had a lot of glider events that year. Several slide-pod R/G's for C R/G, a small swing-wing for 1/4A or 1/2A R/G, a Tandem-wiged glider AND Flex-wing for either 1/4A or 1/2A B/G. And an LM for Plastic Model, which IIRC did not fare well (I've built a much better flying LM since... ) .

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer