View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 01:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Judging by the hair color and stature, I can almost bet the "other person" in the picture is Bob DelPrincipe. Bob had a hand in a lot of Centuri designs like the Fighter Fleet.

I found this Grant Boyd business card going through some stuff the other day. (See below)

The Centuri Shock Cord Fasteners were great - for a while! The peel and stick adhesive could loosen from the inside of the body tubes.
Centuri had to add an addendum to their kits saying to press the fastener back down with the back end of a pencil (the eraser) before flight.

Chris-

Do you recall approximately the year you received the business card from Grant?

Yeah, those Centuri shock cord fasteners could be a bit tricky. You really had to make sure that bottom end (the end closest to the motor mount) was down good, else hot ejection gases could eventually loosen that edge, causing it to peel upwards. But, in general I too preferred them over the tri-fold mount.

I remember in past email discussions with you when you talked about having applied for a job with Centuri and hanging out with their group at a NARAM or two. During those times, did you have much (or any) interaction with Grant?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970