View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Forest Sprite

Jay, I just came across your Perpetrator design for the first time; I didn't see it last March when you posted it. I agree with Steve Naquin - its a Novatrator! (Or maybe an Orbitrator.) I can clearly envision George Roos creating this very design sometime in 1967 or '68. But really, ST-7/ST-8, eventually upscaled to ST-10/ST-13? Neither combination would have ever been done at FSI. They didn't start using a 0.756" diameter tube (RT-6) until around 1990, and they never used a 1" tube. If this had been designed by George Roos when he owned the company, it would have used RT-8 and RT-10 (equivalent to ST-8F and ST-11). If it had been designed by Lonnie Reese and released in 1974 or thereafter, it would have used RT-12 and RT-15 (equivalent to ST-13 and ST-16). Also, post-1974, it would have had a solid balsa transition, with the upper section serving as a payload section and the recovery system being deployed out of the lower section as in your first version. IOW, it would have been a Penetreos (or an Eostrator). Anyway, I like it! (But I'm sure that you must have already anticipated that! ) Lately I have been thinking about creating an imaginary series of "FSI designs that were never produced." (Notice that I said "designs" not "kits," so no jokes, please. ) You have already come up with one!

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011