Thread: Naram-61
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:10 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

I'll second that visit to the Sand Dunes. I went there last June.
A few tips:
Wear shoes, not open toed sandals or flops. If it is a warm, sunny day, the sand temperature can reach well over 140 degrees, making it very uncomfortably hot on the feet.
Take bug spray....mosquitos are in abundance, and they are voracious.
Use lots of sun screen - there is no shade on a sand dune.
Take plenty of water.
Wear a hat.
Basically, the same kind of garb that you would normally wear all day on a rocket range works equally well at the Dunes.
Make sure you are in good walking shape. There is a long trek through loose sand before you can even start climbing the first small hills. The highest dunes in the park top 700 feet, and take a couple of hours to climb.

If you can visit the park after dark, the night sky is spectacular!!! The Dunes are far removed from any urban light pollution sky glow, so the Milky Way is extraordinarily bright horizon to horizon. A stargazer's paradise!

If you wish to do any sand boarding, be aware that the park does not supply boards. These can be rented at various shops in Alamosa. Also be aware that cardboard panels or plastic snow sleds do not work very well on loose sand. The specially made sand boards are designed for this activity and are highly recommended.

I might plan on traveling to NARCON, so maybe I can meet some of you folks!

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/