View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 07:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Earl - Yes! ... so I received my large #6 knife in the No. 80 Whittlers Set today! Very well pleased and as you stated "absolutely mint" with just a little oxidation on a few of the blades. To document what was in my set I received the large #6 handle with a #24 blade chucked in it and five blades in a No. 2 Asst. [assortment] set that included one #24, two #19, one #23X and one #22.

I'd like to mention something that I noticed when comparing what I received today to what was actually pictured in the eBay post as well as what is pictured in an image that I was emailed from Sue when I bought my smaller #6 knife handle from her not long after she made up my small custom set. In the image Sue sent, the knife in the middle of the image is actually the handle that I received from the eBay seller today. In the eBay image, that #6 handle in the sellers image is the same as the #6 handle all the way on the right in Sue's image. Notice the difference in the collet it is more rounded on top. [I don't have an issue with this as I am not trying to collect all the different #6 handle variants I just wanted a small one and a large one and I now have both of those]. There is also a third "larger" style #6 handle that isn't pictured in any of these images I can post that if anyone wants to see one. I believe I still have an image in my email from Sue with that other large type #6.

Earl does your #6 handle look like the eBay sellers image or more like what I received today? Just curious ...

Ok, let me check. It may be the same as yours, but I am not sure now that you mention it. BTW, I think that ‘script’ Xacto logo is their oldest logo. I have seen a partial page of a 1951 Xacto catalog and this Whittlers set is on that catalog page.

When you get a chance, yes, post a photo of the third #6 handle; I’d like to see it. And I’ll check my set and see which variety of #6 handle I received. Could be the seller’s inventory had ‘transitional’ examples as this #6 handle evolved. We have all seen it happen with rocket kits where certain parts — nose cones, transitions, decals, etc. changed and evolved during the years a given kit was produced.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970