View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Ciderwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, that was a great boost and nice flight!
Does your tracking software (screen grab you shown) provide GPS coordinates at the point of touchdown? Even if not, you've got a pretty good pinpoint of where she came down. Hopefully, some additional searching will do the trick.

The screen grab is from a walk/hike tracker I was trying on the phone in order to try to help stay on the last known sight line.

I found my eggfinder had a broken battery lead when I was prepping on-site. So I pulled it out of the rocket, thinking that the 4"x10' mylar streamer would be sufficient.

I lost sight of the sustainer several seconds before apogee, based on when I stopped the video and later counting out the seconds. Never saw it again. Other people saw it, which is why I have a sight line.

Wind and descent rate says it should have come down before the road, but the witnesses said it was -way- out. If the chute came out at the top, then it would be a lot farther, which is why I went so far out on foot. And 2 days later. I had winery work to do launch day and Sunday, so I couldn't spend the time Saturday to explore when the altimeter still had battery. I didn't even think that the on-board WiFi would have let me know I was close until a day and a thunderstorm later.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!