View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 11:16 PM
NASA Ret.

Default Postal Virtual NARAM

Blackshire,

I just found this thread, great idea. Chris Flanigan and I had put out heads together and are running an unofficial postal Virtual NARAM, much like what you have outlined. We are running all the NARAM-62 events except R&D, which btw included 1/2A Altitude and Sport Scale. The announcement is elsewhere in this section but the details are on the web here:

https://www.nar.org/site/virtual-naram/

Chris has actually run some model rocket postal contests in the past and I have been a contestant in them. They are a great way to fly contests, in a relaxed sort of way. We've tailored the rules to make it about as easy and flexible to participate as possible.

You can participate all by yourself - time your own flight, judge it's safety and adherence to the rules, and email the reuslts in! This means small groups, households and the like can go out whenever they like, as long as they can find a place to fly. It makes it possible to not have to rely on club-size launches that may not be permitted under local restrictions. It also means that folks who would not have been able to travel to the real NARAM can get a taste of nationwide competition!

Of course, this not the actual NARAM, it is just fun reason to practice flying the NRC events that are currently in place plus the addition events that will also be held at NARAM-62 next year.

We are also planning to other NARAM-like activities, such as the Manufacturer's Forum, but do it virtually.

Perhaps you might give it a go?

Don Carson
SAM#513
NAR #11069