View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 07:58 AM
NASA Ret.

You are most welcome.

I agree with your point and alluded to the same idea in my message(and in our announcements) but did not make that case very strongly.

The fact of the matter is that the newer format of competition, the National Rocketry Competition, or NRC, that Bernard referenced was driven in part to facilitate access to competition by rocketeers with constraints like you point out. In addition to those folks, there are those who go off to college and are removed from most of their supplies, shops and club support. We lose many competitors when they go off to college (for a variety of reasons, of course). Flying the same NRC events year long reduces the number of models you have to build each year. Our busy college students can squeeze in a few flights with a box full of stuff you can store under the bed.

Through the year, these folks can compete in contests with as few as two NAR members, yet they are competing with fellow contestants all across the country. It is essentially an ongoing nationwide postal contest where you can fly over and over to improve your standing.

I think the challenge, in this case, is getting the word out to that world of isolated rocketeers and encouraging them to participate.

The Virtual NARAM is an even more informal event, more of a reason to go out and practice fly. With so many things closed, cancelled, or postponed these days it is good to have something to do.

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069