View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I flew three of the new C5-3s yesterday. Two in a 1/200th Saturn V and one in a MAV. Both of these models are marginal off the rod on the C6-3 and go really well on Q-jet C12-4s.

All three boosts were very authoritative and with quite a visible flame from the exhaust. Altimeters aboard showed the 1/200 Saturn V actually didn't go quite as high as it does on a C6-3 (when the winds are low for a straight flight) but the MAV did about 70 feet better on the C5-3.

Both models go considerably higher on the C12-4 than they do on C6-3s.

So for heavier models that are marginal on the C6-3, it looks like the C5-3 is indeed "mission accomplished" but for C impulse competitions, the Q-Jet C12 is the hot ticket by a large margin (and even for lighter models).

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences on these motors and your B6-4 motor data. Much appreciated!

I too am a bit surprised the Saturn did not show a higher altitude on the C5s, but your thoughts on it (drag) may be correct. My primary experiences with the C5 back when they first came out was on my Centuri Orion in the late 70s, but it was the only large rocket I had at the time to fly C5s on. But as stated earlier, they did boost it noticeably higher than C6 motors.

If I had a decent sized field, I would love to fly some of those C12s.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970