Thread: Back to India.
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Reptilian Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Well, apparently I lost a bet that I don't remember making--cuz' I'm headed back to Southern India on 3-7 to do some work.

The first time I was there I had access to YORF, but the last two times I didn't, so I may be out of the loop for a couple of months.

If you're curious, I'm going to Tiruchipalli (or "Trichy"--to the locals) in the state of Tamil Nadu. It's about 10 degrees north of the equator and it's never below 95 F day or night.

Desparate poverty, malaria, typhoid, dengue fever, cholera, rabies, and accidents are pretty much the norm there. I've never gotten sick or injured there fortunately--but ONLY because I'm very careful. When I was there in 2010, the guy I was working with ate "something bad" and was so sick he could have s**t through a screen door at 50 yards.

I was in Bangalore a couple of years ago, and it was a great visit. I did eat something I shouldn't have, and kind of knew it when I ate it, but such is the folly of travel. It didn't hit until I got home, and was much less painful that food poisoning I've had in the US. But, the standards on roadside stands, etc., are not up to American fast food levels for sanitation. Overall the food was very good (I like Indian food) and the trip was very enjoyable. Having said that, Bangalore is relatively cool and comfortable, relatively free of Dengue carrying mosquitoes and mosquitoes in general, and relatively prosperous.