View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Actually I honestly forgot about that.
Estes kits produced in China now vs. US production.

Still $80 seems huge for a kit that size.

I agree, and balk at the price just like you do.

There's good data for this bird on the JimZ site. Getting access to printers and learning enough graphic arts skills to clone the decals is not a huge barrier. The decals don't look particularly difficult to reproduce to me. The rocket is painted all white and dolled up with red, blue, green, and black decals. The tubes and other stuff are fairly easy to very easy to source. Turning the right size/shape nose cones (3 of them are available for about $23 plus S&H) may be a challenge, and least for me it would be. Then there are fussy little "ramjet" nose and tail cones to fabricate unless you just buy them from Sirius Rocketry $8 plus S&H. This rocket is a scratch-builder's dream come true. You might even save a lot of money over the kit price by scratch building - if that is your goal in this hobby - to save a lot of money...

Unless scratch building is your thing, it might be worthwhile to just pay Randy the $80. You are likely not going to have an original kit land in your lap for less than that.
-W
MTMA Section #606 President