Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Default Soviet N1 Rocket Color Scheme

I'm building my Really Koo Stuff N1 model, and I'm planning on how best to paint it.
As part of that, I'm trying to figure out what color the lower stages really were on the real thing. The best color photo I've come across looks green - almost an olive drab. But another shows the entire rocket a semi-gloss white, and yet another shows it white with greenish interstages.

I know they built at least four, so the paint schemes could certainly have been different. I think I'd pass on trying to duplicate the white with green interstages (it would be nightmare to properly recreate), but since this N1 is going to be a display model (at least initially - if I really like it, I'll probably build another - whichever one come out better will be the display model and the other become a flyer).

Anyone know more about how the real things were painted?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I'm building my Really Koo Stuff N1 model, and I'm planning on how best to paint it.
As part of that, I'm trying to figure out what color the lower stages really were on the real thing. The best color photo I've come across looks green - almost an olive drab. But another shows the entire rocket a semi-gloss white, and yet another shows it white with greenish interstages.

I know they built at least four, so the paint schemes could certainly have been different. I think I'd pass on trying to duplicate the white with green interstages (it would be nightmare to properly recreate), but since this N1 is going to be a display model (at least initially - if I really like it, I'll probably build another - whichever one come out better will be the display model and the other become a flyer).

Anyone know more about how the real things were painted?

The Soviet rockets that look green and white are actually gray and white. The Vostok is another example besides the N1. A lot of tthe color pictures seem to have an odd color balance that makes the gray have a greenish tint.

I am planning to paint mine Panzer Gray, a Model Masters color, but it is no longer available. Another pretty good match is Krylon Chalky Finish Anvil Gray. I have models painted with both, and they look very similar.
Tamiya has a number of gray paints, and I am huge fan of their paints, but I have not sampled any of the grays.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades,

I use the Model Master Euro Grey spray for my R-7s. It's a little too dark but in the ball park. In the right light, it has a greenish hue.

For what its worth, the actual color is supposed to be a blue-green-grey naval color but, as noted above, on film, the shade can vary greatly. In candor, I lack the enthusiasm to scour the warship modeler forums for more info. If you have a dark grey with blueish or greenish tint, you got it. For this reason, I've debated using Model Master Gunship Grey (like the back of F-16s) also.

But alas, Model Master paints are no more; get them if you can find them.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 11-21-2021, 04:58 PM
The Alpha Kid

I used Krylon Deep Gray Matte on my R-7.
It was a good match to the dozens of photos I had printed out for reference during construction.
I got this one at Hobby Lobby for $6.99.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Krylon_gray.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  494.4 KB  
Old 11-21-2021, 07:04 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Really STOOPYD that Rust-Oleum discontinued Testors and Model Master paints.
Some fool needs a Backhanding over that idiotic decision.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-21-2021, 11:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Really STOOPYD that Rust-Oleum discontinued Testors and Model Master paints.
Some fool needs a Backhanding over that idiotic decision.

I am wondering if it’s just Model Masters that was discontinued. I see pretty good stock of Testors at Hobby Lobby and HobbyTown stores, but Model Masters is limited to a few odd colors in stores where I have seen MM racks still present.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile N1 For the Moon and Mars- N1 Colors and more

Hello!
A friend of mine, Dave Fitch, caught your thread and suggested I respond. I wrote N1 For the Moon and Mars in 2013 with Alex Shliadinsky and Nick Stevens.
I am happy to report that we have just finished the 2nd edition and it is coming in at 550 pages. Jack Hagerty has yet to edit. It should be out sometime next year.
I have been authorized to sell a three-rind binder version till then is anyone is interested in that. It had all of the pages of the original. It is on EBay. my store is KLAATRUBERATTANIKTO.
I would be happy to advise any other details you may be interested in. the color is definitely battleship grey. We have all the spects on the 3L, 5L 6L and 7L versions. There was an 8L, but it was never flown. The technicians were certain that that one would have flown perfectly, but it was already 1972.....
One of your friends mentioned some grammatical issues with our first book. I would gladly see what they are referring to and make adjustments. Please note that we have three chapters in the book that were written by the Russians directly. We translated and left some oddities in the text to show their way of expressing themselves. I hope this is what they are referring to.
Thank you for your interest in the book.
Matt Johnson
Old 01-01-2022, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatujohnson
A friend of mine, Dave Fitch, caught your thread and suggested I respond. I wrote N1 For the Moon and Mars in 2013 with Alex Shliadinsky and Nick Stevens.
I am happy to report that we have just finished the 2nd edition and it is coming in at 550 pages. Jack Hagerty has yet to edit. It should be out sometime next year.

Matt Johnson

Hi, Matt !

Great to get your input here !

BTW - I have not forgotten you and will start that "proofreading assignment" tomorrow. I apologize for the delay,as things have been a little crazy for me the last couple of weeks.

Dave F.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

After being out of town for most January, I finally finished the N1 and it's joined my 1/100 scale collection.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...-Rg&oe=6206296D
Old 02-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Decals

Let me know if you are interesting the DECALS from my ALTAIRA kit. They can be scaled.
Matt Johnson
Altaira Rocketry