Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
All this talk about the Pirate got me thinking that I actually own one of these kits.

Yep. I found it.

It looks to me like this is yet another version based on the fact that my kit has elliptical fins...

Hey Stan,
Do you remember when you bought this version of the Pirate?
Was it directly from CMR? Just trying to figure out a timeline for
When they made the switch.

On a side note: at some point CMR made a switch in the other direction
with the ‘Robin’ egglofter. They switched out the classic eliptical fins for a trapezoid fin shape (a bad move, in my opinion) and they look TINY! I’ll post a few comparative photos tomorrow. As with the ‘Pirate’, I’m not sure when the change was made, or why.

Sean
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 10-17-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Hey Stan,
Do you remember when you bought this version of the Pirate?
Was it directly from CMR? Just trying to figure out a timeline for
When they made the switch.

On a side note: at some point CMR made a switch in the other direction
with the ‘Robin’ egglofter. They switched out the classic eliptical fins for a trapezoid fin shape (a bad move, in my opinion) and they look TINY! I’ll post a few comparative photos tomorrow. As with the ‘Pirate’, I’m not sure when the change was made, or why.

Sean

Sean,

Sadly, I did not buy anything directly from CMR. In the mid to latter 90's, I purchased some lots of Roto-Rocket, FSI, and CMR stuff. I ended up with a really nice selection of CMR stuff, but I have no idea when it was originally purchased. I think that there's a Robin in that box too. Do you want any information from that one?

Stan
Old 10-17-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Sean,

Sadly, I did not buy anything directly from CMR. In the mid to latter 90's, I purchased some lots of Roto-Rocket, FSI, and CMR stuff. I ended up with a really nice selection of CMR stuff, but I have no idea when it was originally purchased. I think that there's a Robin in that box too. Do you want any information from that one?

Stan

Does your Robin have the elliptical fins or trapezoid? If you can get tracings of whichever ones you have, I'll compare them to what I have. What other CMR kits do you have?

Sean
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 10-18-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
So: I've acquired the parts I didn't have (turns out, all I had were the tubes) for this build. Thanks to Dan W. for the transition and others who offered to help. While I'm waiting for the parts to arrive, I twiddled around in Open Rocket to try and figure out tube lengths, fin patterns etc. (Still looking for Instructions and fin tracings if anyone has them). This is what I came up with below. I'll tweak it as needed when I have all the parts. (I also ordered a digital Scale to use for this build)

Playing around in Open Rocket again with the Pirate. The tube lengths are guesstimates, the transition and nose cone measurements are from what I have on hand, and the fin dimensions are the best I could come up with from the catalogue drawings. Depending on the time of day and whatever mood I happen to be in at the time, the fins sometimes look like they have a bit of a rearward sweep, so I've twiddled them out with both a 90 degree trailing edge and a something-or-other degree sweep - both sets look like they may be a little long in the span. I'll cut some out later this evening and do a dry fit, see how they look. Both files are below, comments are welcome
Attached Files
File Type: ork CMR_Pirate_2.ork (2.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: ork CMR_Pirate_Swept_2.ork (2.0 KB, 11 views)
SAM #0031
Old 10-23-2020, 11:16 PM
Craftsman

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Does your Robin have the elliptical fins or trapezoid? If you can get tracings of whichever ones you have, I'll compare them to what I have. What other CMR kits do you have?

Sean

Sean,

Sorry about the delay. It's been a week and I had to dig for my CMR box.

The fins on my Robin are elliptical. I should be able to do a scan through the bag whenever I go back to my office. No telling when that will be though.

As for what I have, here is all of it with the exception of a Sting Ray that has some mold that I need to try to salvage..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20201024_040319740.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  1.79 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20201024_040350931.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1.86 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20201024_040334890.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.72 MB  
Old 10-24-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Sean,

The fins on my Robin are elliptical. I should be able to do a scan through the bag whenever I go back to my office. No telling when that will be though.

As for what I have, here is all of it with the exception of a Sting Ray that has some mold that I need to try to salvage..

Nice collection Stan - I'll post photo's of mine tomorrow. Funny that you mention the 'Stingray', I'm working on my (mold-free) kit now.
SAM #0031
Old 10-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Sean,

Ok, Below is my collection of CMR kits; some bought direct from CMR, a couple from Commonwealth Displays ( I felt like I was subsidizing them back in the mid-late 80's ), a couple from eBay and 1 or 2 from YORF members. The only one's that I have and not shown are the 'Stingray', 'Manta' and a partial 'Orbitron'. The built-ups have not been flown yet.

Edit: The ‘Robin’ with the red hang tag is the early version w/elliptical fins and foam lined egg capsule. The other two have trapezoid fins and separate foam inserts.

Edit 2: CMR Built-ups from left to right: Humpty-Dumpty, Robin, Rapier, Double Eggle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1722.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  329.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1720.JPG
Size:  457.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1717.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  350.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1716.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  455.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1715.JPG
Size:  466.6 KB  
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 10-24-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Craftsman

Sean,

Here is the picture of the ELO fins to get a relative size for them..

Stan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PXL_20201026_031018355.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  414.3 KB  
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Sean,

Here is the picture of the ELO fins to get a relative size for them..

Stan

Thanks Stan.
SAM #0031
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Both - nice collections.

Built many CMR kits back in my contest days , even set a US record with a mostly stock ELO on an Aerotech D7, forget the altitude but was the B division D Eggloft altitude record for some time.

Thanks for the ELO fin scan.... if you build, or can scan in the bag, would love info on the HYper, we had a bunch of those, and I still have two I thought were scratchbuilt, that might indeed,be Hyper kits.

See photo - unpainted, but painted ( reused ) fins.

These ( and the Pirate, sorry Sean ) are in a box of builtups still MIA, once I find em will post more info.and pics.

Good stuff CMR, only ones I still have are the Pirate, paratrooper ?, and a Manta... do have a capsule someplace, so maybe an ELO clone on the radar..... sigh, this jumping back in thing is getting out of hand

AL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  hallwayrockets.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  89.7 KB