Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2022, 11:12 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
10ms latency is awesome! I usually get around 30-50ms. I just checked this morning and it's a little better than usual at 25ms. With bandwidth, however, I do get more than I pay for.

Just by way of comparison with Starlink... well, sad to say, there is no comparison really:
Ookla Speedtest with Starlink just before midnight EDT
Ping - 64 ms
Download - 33.34 Mbps
Upload - 10.20 Mbps

So Starlink is fine for our particular family's purposes; but I must say that your results are very impressive!

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!
Old 06-23-2022, 11:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Just by way of comparison with Starlink... well, sad to say, there is no comparison really:
Ookla Speedtest with Starlink just before midnight EDT
Ping - 64 ms
Download - 33.34 Mbps
Upload - 10.20 Mbps

So Starlink is fine for our particular family's purposes; but I must say that your results are very impressive!

Your results are way better than my DSL ever was. I never got more than 1.5 Mbps reliably, and toward the end it was at dial-up speeds most days. When I first got cable, I got about 15 Mbps, but was paying for 30. With DSL so bad, I didn't complain. When they bumped our service to 60 and I didn't get an increase, I called and they came out. They maxed me out at 60 by "balancing" out at the pole. They eventually bumped us to 100 and finally 200 without us upgrading anything. I'm tickled.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:40 AM
Master Modeler

That is IMPRESSIVE.

I just got the shipment notices on all the rest of the bits I ordered. So...I should have everything I need to set this up by Sunday sometime (I didn't know FedEx delivered on Sunday). But...since I'll be running a Cub Scout launch on Sunday, chances are I won't have energy for more than reading documentation after that until Monday.

Here's hoping I can get a really good idea about how well it works during the 30 day trial period. I'm looking for both more consistent performance than I'm getting with the Century Link dual DSL setup and hopefully better absolute performance (except latency) than the DSL is doing. Right now (11:38 PM local time) it's screaming: 10ms ping, 66.7 down and 13.2 Mbps up. If I could depend on that kind of performance, I'd not be so interested in sending $110/month to Elon and company (well, Gwynne Shotwell and company, I suppose).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Right now (11:38 PM local time) it's screaming: 10ms ping, 66.7 down and 13.2 Mbps up. If I could depend on that kind of performance,

That's the opposite of what DSL used to advertise against cable. They used to claim consistent performance vs. cable only being fast in off hours when demand was low.

If you could get that speed consistently, it would do all you wanted, unless you have a wife and kids that all want to game and stream and download stuff at the same time. I bet we don't often use more than 20 Mbps with three of us in the house. However, downloading a 100 mb app in a few seconds instead of a few hours is pretty cool.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:29 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

11 ms ping, 710 MB download, 24 MB upload.

We have Xfinity fiber out here. I don't know given our relatively rural, "not very high housing density" location how they make any money on it, but I'm glad it's here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 10.25.37 AM.png
Views: 17
Size:  77.8 KB  
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 06-24-2022, 12:35 PM
Master Modeler

Actually fiber is what makes the most sense to me. And Century Link is pushing fiber in the greater Seattle area....but of course it's not here where we are.

We shall see what Starlink brings.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-25-2022, 08:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

I could pay extra for 400 Mbps or gigabit, but 200 Mbps handles everything we do just fine. I just downloaded a gigabyte sized zip file of pictures and videos from an extrication class we did in Nashville today. It only took about 40 seconds.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's the opposite of what DSL used to advertise against cable. They used to claim consistent performance vs. cable only being fast in off hours when demand was low.

I don't think it's system load that causes our inconsistencies as there's really no pattern to it. Often it's just a complete dropout for a few minutes — just enough to cause whatever we're streaming to go off and sulk or web pages to just stop.

We do have one extra living with us right now — 40-year-old kid — so there is more streaming now.

The basic Starlink kit arrived today. The box took a little corner damage from FedEx on the way, but everything inside looks just fine. It is packaged nicely so that things can't rattle around and yet easy to get to, without a bunch of fiddly bits of packaging to deal with.

I should take a picture or two of the antenna, which is bigger than I expected, but clearly smaller than the original version that John got. Maybe I'll pose it with a Big Bertha or something.

The rest of the bits I ordered are projected by FedEx to be here between tomorrow and next Thursday — four items, four packages (odd, that). A rooftop pole mount is also on its way from Amazon, and right now it looks like next weekend might be when I do the installation. I keep trying to figure out how I can set it up and test it without doing the full installation, but it needs to go on the roof near the south end of the house in order to get the sky view it needs (per the app) and there's really no place were I can put the antenna on the ground on the stand it comes with that is open enough between trees and neighbors' houses and fences.

More when there is more to tell. Gotta go stage some things to run a launch for some Cub Scouts tomorrow — on what will be the hottest day of the year so far.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-26-2022, 03:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I should take a picture or two of the antenna, which is bigger than I expected, but clearly smaller than the original version that John got. Maybe I'll pose it with a Big Bertha or something.

If you could get hold of a Falcon 9 model...
Old 06-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Master Modeler

Oh, right. Of course. Yeah, I have one of the early Falcon 9/Dragon models....good idea .
AMA 42160
KG7AIE