Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2022, 07:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Actually I honestly forgot about that.
Estes kits produced in China now vs. US production.

Still $80 seems huge for a kit that size.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Actually I honestly forgot about that.
Estes kits produced in China now vs. US production.

Still $80 seems huge for a kit that size.

I agree, and balk at the price just like you do.

There's good data for this bird on the JimZ site. Getting access to printers and learning enough graphic arts skills to clone the decals is not a huge barrier. The decals don't look particularly difficult to reproduce to me. The rocket is painted all white and dolled up with red, blue, green, and black decals. The tubes and other stuff are fairly easy to very easy to source. Turning the right size/shape nose cones (3 of them are available for about $23 plus S&H) may be a challenge, and least for me it would be. Then there are fussy little "ramjet" nose and tail cones to fabricate unless you just buy them from Sirius Rocketry $8 plus S&H. This rocket is a scratch-builder's dream come true. You might even save a lot of money over the kit price by scratch building - if that is your goal in this hobby - to save a lot of money...

Unless scratch building is your thing, it might be worthwhile to just pay Randy the $80. You are likely not going to have an original kit land in your lap for less than that.
-W
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Master Modeler

A reminder that while many parts of Estes kits are made in China and have been, really, for ~20 years now, they still contain US-made body tubes, in spite of the changes at and issues from the US paper tube maker that Bob described in post #7 above.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-20-2022, 11:37 AM
BAR

The market has spoken, out of stock.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 08-20-2022, 04:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I gotta weigh in here... Thank you for the information, this puts things into perspective. I've wanted to build a Saturn-5 since I left the womb. I've been eying the Estes version, and NO, not the RTF, the one you have to build from scratch... almost. Anyhoo, it's the only one that's affordable, as Apogee has a nice kit at like $350, and Sirius is a mere $499.95! I mean, it's just paper/cardboard tubes, balsa/bass/ply wood and plastic, right? With prices like this, I'd imagine they contain precious metals or something...

With 3D printers widely available, and other advancements in manufacturing, why can't someone produce a decent 5-footer version of a Saturn-5 for around $150. I'd JUMP at that price, and probably buy 2!

A very depressed Shaggeh!
Old 09-30-2022, 02:11 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Those smaller companies like eRockets and MoreRockets are doing a great deal less volume in sales than a company like Estes and are not buying product from China. Domestic labor is going to be much more expensive. So, they are going to have to charge some additional amount to make a decent profit.

No telling what kind of kit prices we'd be paying if all of Estes products were completely domestically sourced/produced.

Earl

Not sure if anyone noticed but one of these kits is on eFEE for $200. I offered the seller $80 and he countered with $240.

In paint:

Ready for 1st flight: Custom Rockets Bullet, Semroc/Centuri Renegade, Semroc Laser X, Estes Beta Launch Vehicle, MPC Flare Patriot, Estes Nimbus, Estes SR-71, Estes Nebulon Warrior, Semroc Ruskie, Estes Nike -X, Estes Mini-Shuttle Clone. Estes Renegade, Estes Big Red Max, Estes Phoenix, Fliskits Shadowlord, Custom Rockets SAM-X, thanks Texas Winds and rain.
Austin TX
Old 09-30-2022, 02:31 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Unknown Nose Cone

Hello everyone,
I have a nose cone that I cannot identify the history of: https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-bal...-sem-bnc-60gmr/
It is the Semroc Balsa Nose Cone for a BT-60 with the letters GMR, I was thinking it was a Gemini Cone but with a Mercury Redstone top. Did Estes make a kit with this cone as a pseudo Spacecraft? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockets
Hello everyone,
I have a nose cone that I cannot identify the history of: https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-bal...-sem-bnc-60gmr/
It is the Semroc Balsa Nose Cone for a BT-60 with the letters GMR, I was thinking it was a Gemini Cone but with a Mercury Redstone top. Did Estes make a kit with this cone as a pseudo Spacecraft? Any help is greatly appreciated.

First, you should have started a new thread for this because it has nothing to do with the Semroc USS America that is the topic of this thread.
However, my guess is that it's a boilerplate version of the Mercury capsule used in the Mercury Little Joe flights.
EDIT: Reading the description on the erockets webpage: It is a GOONY version of a Mercury Redstone capsule.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:50 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockets
Hello everyone,

Hi Randy,

GMR stands for Goony Mercury Redstone.

http://web.archive.org/web/20190707...?idproduct=2638
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-30-2022, 10:52 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Update to USS America

The next version of the USS America will include 3D printed engine pods. For many years we have been depending on Jeff Graham to make resin cast parts for us to produce this kit. I approved a few months ago the new 3D printed parts, today we finished making our first batches of the new part with our SLA printer. The new parts are impressive and I feel the rocketry community will enjoy using them. Look for them in our next run of USS America.