Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
We have dealt with aging parent issues all year, and I’m just now having some free time to build a couple simple rockets.

I'm happy for you. Aging parent issues are some of the most difficult challenges that we will, or have already, faced.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I'm happy for you. Aging parent issues are some of the most difficult challenges that we will, or have already, faced.

Wolfram,

Thank you.
On a positive note, after months of clearing out my in-laws home, in preparation to sell it, my wife has decided our house needs a thorough de-junking. And I’ve finally gotten a good start on cleaning out my shop. No getting rid of kits! But at least organizing things. :-)

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf

Amen, brother.

For those out there who have not gone through this or will never have to, you may not realize or fully appreciate how blessed you are. I know folks who have both parents well into their 80s or even approaching their 90s, and they just take it as a matter of course that their parents are able to make it on their own, like they always have. Or....get totally bugged out when their parents just aren’t quite able to do what they used to do (like they had to take a half day off from work...for the first time ever...to take a parent to a doctor appointment and are totally ticked because it wrecked their vacation time they had set aside for their, like third beach vacation of the year).

If you still have your parents and you are personally able, consider it a blessing to do WHATEVER you can for them. They did it for you when you couldn’t care for yourself, and one day you will be very glad you did what you could for them. And, it will help you better plan for the day when you are in the same boat, because if you live long enough, the day will come whether we like it or not, that we will face the same issues of aging ourselves.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-17-2019, 07:46 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 to what Earl just said above.
I lost my mother when she was only 50 at age 27.
My father is now having some health problems at age 72 and I am glad/thankful to be able to help him in any way I can.
We lost his mother at age 95 some three years ago and he visited her every day.
She was in decent health too; he and his brother were only gone two hrs, when his sister found Grandma slumped over in the vestibule of her place. It was obvious she slipped, and smashed her head on a table on the way to the floor. That was all it took at age 95.

My father's family all lived into their 90's so it's a bit surprising he is having health issues this young. We are giving him the support he wants/needs. Finally got him to give up yardwork; we hired a good service.

Be thankful for the time you get with elderly relatives; I am nearly 50 now and can still remember my mother's illness photographically like it was yesterday.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 11-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

2019 is a terrible year for me. January 22nd i had a stroke, I thought I was in the hospital for two weeks, my wife had to let me know that it was three weeks. My parents flew in the to see me in the hospital and stayed a week.

While home and still recovering (I'm a long haul trucker and ice roader) and begging for my license back, I got a phone call that my father had a stroke, so my wife drove me there right away. My father passed away April 1st. After the funeral my wife and I went home I got a phone call to tell me that my mother passed away on April 24th. Her 71st birthday would have been April 26th...dad's 71st birthday would have been April 30th. It was devastating for me, especially with my mental condition from the damage of the stroke, well it was difficult to accept losing them.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetman
2019 is a terrible year for me. January 22nd i had a stroke, I thought I was in the hospital for two weeks, my wife had to let me know that it was three weeks. My parents flew in the to see me in the hospital and stayed a week.

While home and still recovering (I'm a long haul trucker and ice roader) and begging for my license back, I got a phone call that my father had a stroke, so my wife drove me there right away. My father passed away April 1st. After the funeral my wife and I went home I got a phone call to tell me that my mother passed away on April 24th. Her 71st birthday would have been April 26th...dad's 71st birthday would have been April 30th. It was devastating for me, especially with my mental condition from the damage of the stroke, well it was difficult to accept losing them.

Yes, that is a very rough string of events for anyone to have to handle. Our sympathies to you and your family, and I hope the after effects of your stroke improve and you are able to get back to work, if possible. Prayers too for healing of hearts; they have no doubt had a beating this year.

Best Regards,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, that is a very rough string of events for anyone to have to handle. Our sympathies to you and your family, and I hope the after effects of your stroke improve and you are able to get back to work, if possible. Prayers too for healing of hearts; they have no doubt had a beating this year.

Best Regards,

Earl

Thank you Earl.

I've been recovering from the stroke very well, I'm pretty much 100%. 2019 has just continues to get worse though. After having been cleared to go to work, about two weeks later (July 8th) I had to call an ambulance and was taken to a hospital in Davenport, IA. Shortly after that the doctor said he had to have rushed to the Hospital at University of Iowa by ambulance again. Ten day stay there due two two blood clots. Again my wife (I love her tremendously) drove 700 miles to come be with me there until doctors released me and she again drove me back to our home in Stratford, ON Canada.

A couple of months later, the insurance company who covered me decided I was not covered and declined the hospital bill coverage. Now having to deal with the $108k bill I had to get a lawyer to fight this for me, it's still ongoing.

With all of this I miss my parents the most and my wife keeps me going and takes care of me.

I apologize for pirating the thread.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I've moved these posts into their own thread due to being off-topic to Lee's build post in the Projects forum.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-18-2019, 02:13 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Sucks getting old. Since we're sharing, this was my 2015:

Carpal Tunnel surgery (really neet actually - took eleven minutes for both hands). Very good relief and back to work the next morning.

Removal of a flared-up cyst that had been dormant for over a decade - pretty simple outpatient stuff.

Drug interaction where I thought perhaps I had ALS or Parkinsons or some neurological disorder. Started with tremors and progressed to slurred speech, confusion and clumbsiness (above my usual base levels), dizziness, drowsiness... After several weeks I finally Googled the drugs I was taking and figured it out - the doctor and pharmacist missed it completely. (I really thought they checked that stuff.)

Anemia causing fatigue (over the whole year actually) resulting in colonoscopy, endoscopy and a PillCam endoscopy (cool) to find the bleed. (Surgery to fix done in 2016.)

Ankle fusion surgery to fix a deteriorating joint resulting from an accident in 1985. (The other ankle will eventually need it too.) That was a week in the hospital and a few months of gimping around (but then I was gimping around before that too). (Something I should have done years earlier.)

After a long history of kidney stones, I knew one when I felt it. After a few days and no Zing(! if you've had one, you know), I finally went to the ER on a Friday night. They said: "Yup, you have a kidney stone. Take these pain pills and see your urologist on Monday." Saturday and the pills weren't helping, so back to the ER. They said: "Double up on the pain pills and see your urologist on Monday." Sunday night the last thing I remember was eating dinner, except for a later flashbulb memory of five parametics standing around my chair yelling at me. Woke up Monday night in ICU with tubes stuck in everything. Acute renal failure - fortunately temporary from ureter blockage. Another week in the hospital and some unpleasant urology follow-ups.

Having had cellulitis a couple of years earlier, I was pretty sure I had it again. But it cooked for eight hours in the ER while they ran tests, before they started antibiotics. (Fairness to the ER guys, it was a busy Saturday night.) So another week in the hospital. [In fact, last year I had it yet again but I recognized it sooner. An immediate antibiotic treatment stopped it cold.]

There was more, but that year is pretty much a blur. No real catastrophic illness, but a relentless one-thing-after-another. (Though if I'd been alone with my kidney stone I might have woke up dead.) Doesn't count the time spent dealing with my wife's hospitalizations as well.

In 2016 I was fired, after 22 years at the same company. In accordance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, of course it had nothing to do with missing four months of work the previous year; except that it totally did. "Right-to-Work" oxymoron state.

A bright spot though, is that the company's insurance worked well, and Medicare since then has worked even better. It's actually kinda nice being able to take care of my wife and myself without having to hump to work every day. I fill up the car's tank about once a month. Comfortable, but no margins; we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by vcp : 11-18-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Amen, brother.

For those out there who have not gone through this or will never have to, you may not realize or fully appreciate how blessed you are. I know folks who have both parents well into their 80s or even approaching their 90s, and they just take it as a matter of course that their parents are able to make it on their own, like they always have. Or....get totally bugged out when their parents just aren’t quite able to do what they used to do (like they had to take a half day off from work...for the first time ever...to take a parent to a doctor appointment and are totally ticked because it wrecked their vacation time they had set aside for their, like third beach vacation of the year).

If you still have your parents and you are personally able, consider it a blessing to do WHATEVER you can for them. They did it for you when you couldn’t care for yourself, and one day you will be very glad you did what you could for them. And, it will help you better plan for the day when you are in the same boat, because if you live long enough, the day will come whether we like it or not, that we will face the same issues of aging ourselves.

Earl

Amen brother!

BUT, parents make it really hard to do the above when they decide to move away from the kids, in my case, 3 hours for Dad, and 7 hours for Mom. I don't know what they are thinking when they move away from their support structure, even when told "I don't know how I am going to be able to help you out when you need it when you are older".