Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 AM
BP Mafia

Default WSR Launch, July 31, 2021

I spent all Friday prepping, bought two new totes for hauling the birds to the field and as a result, managed 15 flights on Saturday at our Wright Stuff Rocketeers launch in Dayton. Five of my flights were first timers, one will likely be an only timer. (I don't have any pics ready, still editing them.) The Estes Space Corps Lunar Scout flew on an A3-4T and was very good. It will make a great B6-4 Field regular. The Semroc Hawk will be the only timer as the ejection charge blew it to pieces, three to be exact. The wing and tail fluttered over into the soccer fields, while the main body landed to the right of the flightline 100 yards + away from the rest. The Dr. Zooch Mercury Little Joe flew on a C6-5, and flew great. Excellent altitude for such a bulky bird with landing on a gravel strip that cuts between football fields. No damage. I really need to get serious about building that escape tower. The other two first flight birds were both NewWay products, and both Red Max variants. The first was the newly finished, unpainted NewWay Der SquaRed Max on a C6-5, which flew alongside a fully finished one that flew on a B6-4. Both were excellent flights and recovered as both of us hoped. The next one was the Square Max that I ginned up using a Quad Goblin, so that flew on a D12-5. Also impressive and landed without damage. I also flew two that last flew in the early 2000's, the Centuri Mach 10 and Estes Star Blazer. The Mach 10 boosted perfectly on an A8-3, then glided haltingly back to the football field. Needs just a touch of nose weight, but it was much better than the flights in 2003. The Star Blazer on an A3-4T was as expected. Great mini Brute flyer. I'm going to try to turn the pics into a blog post, so if that happens, I'll post the link here later.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What was the motor in the Semroc Hawk ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-02-2021, 09:32 AM
Master Modeler

Wow Bill! I gave a few minutes thought to making the drive to Dayton - eRockets has some stuff I don’t want to pay shipping for and it’s been 4-ish years since our last visit to the AF Museum - but with work needing done on the current house and packing needing done for the move I just couldn’t justify the time. But good thing I skipped the launch - I’d NEVER have matched 15 flights! At a NOTRA launch I’m almost always the most prolific with 8-10 flights but never 15 🤯
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Apollo Nut

Bill-

What kind of altitude did you get on the Mach 10 with the A8-3? That not being a recommended motor (B4-2 and C6-3 being recommended), was the three second delay workable?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
What was the motor in the Semroc Hawk ?

A8-3. Things looked great until ejection.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Wow Bill! I gave a few minutes thought to making the drive to Dayton - eRockets has some stuff I don’t want to pay shipping for and it’s been 4-ish years since our last visit to the AF Museum - but with work needing done on the current house and packing needing done for the move I just couldn’t justify the time. But good thing I skipped the launch - I’d NEVER have matched 15 flights! At a NOTRA launch I’m almost always the most prolific with 8-10 flights but never 15 🤯

I was surprised by the amount when I got home. I was thinking 11 or 12. I know I flew everything I was comfortable flying. I left a couple of two stagers in the box because the winds were a little unpredictable. The weather was great. Overcast and breezy in August? Who ever heard of such nonsense.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bill-

What kind of altitude did you get on the Mach 10 with the A8-3? That not being a recommended motor (B4-2 and C6-3 being recommended), was the three second delay workable?

Earl

I didn't. It was a B6-2. Not sure why I posted A8-3. It was early, I guess. Only half-caffeinated.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

An old A5-2 may work well in the Mach-10.

What "Kaboomed" the Hawk ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-02-2021, 01:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
An old A5-2 may work well in the Mach-10.

What "Kaboomed" the Hawk ?

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...308&postcount=5

I miss being SAM 0058