Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2020, 06:14 AM
BP Mafia

Red face Personal launch bragging

On Saturday at our WSR launch, Mike Rohde (RocketRohde) and I both eclipsed the 1700 career flight mark. Mike did it right. He made a special gold colored flight card for his flight, a Semroc Goblin that had been #51 when released. I forgot what my count was before the day started, so I had to wait until I got home to figure out that Flight 1700 had been the Semroc Ruskie. (Interesting that we both wound up with Semroc products as our big flight.) Since then I've been doing some personal accounting. I've flown 148 flights to this point, 13 away from a new personal record. (160 in 2013, a NARAM year for me, which has always boosted my flight total.) I need 52 flights to top 200 for the year, which seems way out of reach until you stop to think that there are still 4 months left in 2020. A couple of B6-4 Field launches combined with a few more club launches and I'm right on the cusp. I have a batch of Semroc birds ready to go for an all-Semroc launch at B6-4 Field. Weather looks iffy this weekend with the remnants of the hurricane creeping through, but I might be able to squeeze in a post-work launch one day before everything blows to hell.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
On Saturday at our WSR launch, Mike Rohde (RocketRohde) and I both eclipsed the 1700 career flight mark. Mike did it right. He made a special gold colored flight card for his flight, a Semroc Goblin that had been #51 when released. I forgot what my count was before the day started, so I had to wait until I got home to figure out that Flight 1700 had been the Semroc Ruskie. (Interesting that we both wound up with Semroc products as our big flight.) Since then I've been doing some personal accounting. I've flown 148 flights to this point, 13 away from a new personal record. (160 in 2013, a NARAM year for me, which has always boosted my flight total.) I need 52 flights to top 200 for the year, which seems way out of reach until you stop to think that there are still 4 months left in 2020. A couple of B6-4 Field launches combined with a few more club launches and I'm right on the cusp. I have a batch of Semroc birds ready to go for an all-Semroc launch at B6-4 Field. Weather looks iffy this weekend with the remnants of the hurricane creeping through, but I might be able to squeeze in a post-work launch one day before everything blows to hell.

That's awesome, I have never thought to do an overall total or look by year. I have a huge number of flights this year because of work from home and it's so easy to go to the park for a few launches in the morning.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:36 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
That's awesome, I have never thought to do an overall total or look by year. I have a huge number of flights this year because of work from home and it's so easy to go to the park for a few launches in the morning.

I was lucky. I kept a notebook back in the 70's, so I had a good start, and it was in my old range box with whatever else I managed to keep. I still kept track of things when I got back into it back in 2001 and eventually began keeping track via EMRR/RocketReviews. I even went back and scoured old launch photo folders and found pics of many flights. Now it's to the point that I try to at least get an on-pad shot of each flight, if not liftoff and recovery. Obsession? No more than anything else.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-25-2020, 10:27 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Now the important question:

How many were POWR-PRANGS ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-25-2020, 10:54 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Now the important question:

How many were POWR-PRANGS ?

Is it ever enough? Thinking back, I can only think of a couple. The Big Daddy was one back in 2001 and it flew again this year. Another was a scratch build that went horizontal off the pad and hit a church. Oh, and an Astron Invader on a C5 or C6.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-25-2020, 01:56 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

HIT a CHURCH ?
That's a RIOT.

Out of all my flights, I can only think of a couple POWR-PRANGS as well.
One was with one of those zilch-thrust FSI F7's in a Centuri Phoenix Bird.
Missed a classic Mercedes by less than 2 feet.

Saw lots of PMC POWR-PRANGS in the late 70's/early 80's.
Always due to underpower.

The Astron Invader should have been named the Astron PRANGER.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Another was a scratch build that went horizontal off the pad and hit a church.

Was it named Dio? Holy Diver...
Old 08-25-2020, 02:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Was it named Dio? Holy Diver...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...668&FORM=VDQVAP
I still have parts to that one. I think I have the body tube and a rear fin. The nose cone was pushed back into the tube (a sturdy aluminum foil tube, IIRC.) It looked like Tom after Jerry blew something up on him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tom_and_jerry_11-s300x225-283566-580.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  13.9 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-25-2020, 05:07 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
I was lucky. I kept a notebook back in the 70's, so I had a good start, and it was in my old range box with whatever else I managed to keep. I still kept track of things when I got back into it back in 2001 and eventually began keeping track via EMRR/RocketReviews. I even went back and scoured old launch photo folders and found pics of many flights. Now it's to the point that I try to at least get an on-pad shot of each flight, if not liftoff and recovery. Obsession? No more than anything else.

That’s great. I have a lot of everything after 1989, but before then in the 70s and early 80s, there were very few flights, so I remember most, but not the dates.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Way back in 1976, I celebrated the bicentennial by launching rockets. A couple of early rocket buddies and I got busy with about 40 onlookers and from our custom 4 pad launcher managed to get 108 rockets in the air. That was a pretty good days work.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry