Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Forest Sprite

I guess I'd better get my badge, then.

I'm flipping out over these new kits...Incredibly cool!

(Moon-Glo - yes!!!)
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi1971
The benefits of being a sam are as follows:

#1 You get to buy great model rocket kits at a 20% discount!

IAMASAM 216

OK, now I know Bruce is doing their web coding--when I check out as a SAM member, it's only ringing me up for a 10% discount . Several years ago at NARAM, I caught Bruce a bit unprepared for some cash sales (didn't have a price list), handed him a $20 for a small kit, and he joked saying "that's about right", trying to keep it. Ever since then, he's kept trying to offer me the "Chan discount" whenever I buy from him instead of Carl or Sheryl, where that discount usually starts at about a 20% premium and I have to coerce him to get me back down to retail

--Chan Stevens
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
OK, now I know Bruce is doing their web coding--when I check out as a SAM member, it's only ringing me up for a 10% discount . Several years ago at NARAM, I caught Bruce a bit unprepared for some cash sales (didn't have a price list), handed him a $20 for a small kit, and he joked saying "that's about right", trying to keep it. Ever since then, he's kept trying to offer me the "Chan discount" whenever I buy from him instead of Carl or Sheryl, where that discount usually starts at about a 20% premium and I have to coerce him to get me back down to retail

--Chan Stevens

So that's what the Chan discount was that I took out of the website!

Seriously (as I can be), it did not have an expiration for your NAR membership so it did not add the extra 10% for NAR. That'll come out of Bruce's pocket at NARAM.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
So that's what the Chan discount was that I took out of the website!

Seriously (as I can be), it did not have an expiration for your NAR membership so it did not add the extra 10% for NAR. That'll come out of Bruce's pocket at NARAM.

Well now Bruce has roped Sheryl into the act--I apparently ordered before she figured out every order over $35 gets a free Moon-Glo. Looks like I might be working out a "special vendor fee" inflicted on certain vendors at NARAM this year .
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Well now Bruce has roped Sheryl into the act--I apparently ordered before she figured out every order over $35 gets a free Moon-Glo. Looks like I might be working out a "special vendor fee" inflicted on certain vendors at NARAM this year .

Since Carl and Sheryl can see into the future and know what we're planning to order before we do, I bet Sheryl knew about the "special vendor fee" and decided to offset it by keeping your Moon-Glo.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I was going to respond and say that right NOW, I would not say much to Sheryl. Before NARAM, you should see her reaction when I say something simple like , "I was just thinking..." Upon reflection, you would NOT like to see her reaction.

This is a stressful time anyway. We have had some fun surprises over the past few weeks. Venus, our laser, stopped about three weeks ago. Bearing went out in X-drive servo. We overnighted a $450 servo and a $4.00 bearing, so the old one is now repaired as a spare. Last Friday morning while talking with John Dyer, Bruce said "Get off the phone, the laser is on fire!" Flames coming out from under the bed, quick 5 second decision on the fire extinguisher, Laser or house? Fire extinguisers make a real mess. The parts we needed were proprietary or custom, so it would not be easy or quick, but at 7:00 pm, it was rebuilt so it is almost as good as new; much better than a few weeks ago. Then yesterday, the Y-axis servo went out. Ordered a new $350 replacement overnight. While waiting, I found one small board that still had residue from the fire extinguiser and cleaning process. Low level signals from the encoder were shorting. Now it is fixed and we have a Y-axis spare that just came.

Last Wednesday, a surprise ring at the door and we met our new BATFE agent. Just a quick three hour inspection of paperwork, magazine, and review of the Orange book. Almost three years of having the LEMP and no visit, then one out of the blue. I guessed they had more time now, since they had to stop selling guns to drug runners. That killed the day for Bruce and I.

Releasing three new kits is always stressful for all of us, but NARAM's seem to make us make time when there is never enough time. The Aerobee 300, Bandit, USS America, WAC Corporal, and Starship Vega were all close, but will not make the trip this time.

We were really hoping to have a few days to pack some 10mm's for NARAM, but they will be a priority when we get back.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Old BAR

Man, I better start saving up! Sheesh!

I already have a build pile up to the roof and beyond; I guess a few more won't hurt...

Carl, thanks for all the goodies with my order that came yesterday. You folks travel safely!
That baby Orion is amazing!

Allen
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I placed my Semroc order on July 17th (Sunday night).

Order was shipped July 18th (Monday).

Order received on July 20th (Wednesday).

Thanks, Semroc!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Order 07-21-11.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  111.5 KB  
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 PM
A Rocketeer

Carl,

I received the kits I ordered Sunday evening today--Shrike, Aerobee 150, and Moon Glo. Thanks for the great service. Everything looks great, as usual.

Greg

SAM #0071
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Old BAR

Ordered a Baby Orion, Shrike, Cherokee-C, a Moon-Glo, and some parts and pieces on Monday morning. All came in on Wednesday and had my SAM-3 and an extra Moon-Glo (the freebie) in the box. Woo-Hoo!
Thanks everyone at Semroc!
Being a SAM certainly has many advantages!

Allen
IMASAM #50

Last edited by jetlag : 07-24-2011 at 08:20 AM.