Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Level 5 Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Using the models was genius, it instantly communicated it was a legitimate hobby for adults!

We used the attractive young ladies as models because it was the easiest way to communicate the large size of the rockets - something people were not familiar with - these were not toys - and the target audience was sure to look at the rockets.....eventually.

We had only one complaint over the whole time on our catalog covers, and it came from a particularly obnoxious mother of a teenager. Since she would never buy the product, we never worried about her concerns.

Matt
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
We used the attractive young ladies as models because it was the easiest way to communicate the large size of the rockets - something people were not familiar with - these were not toys - and the target audience was sure to look at the rockets.....eventually.

We had only one complaint over the whole time on our catalog covers, and it came from a particularly obnoxious mother of a teenager. Since she would never buy the product, we never worried about her concerns.

Matt

I might have complained that there weren't enough photos with Traci.... eventually. As soon as put the catalog away.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

I enjoyed the catalogs and the products. When I visited Huntsville to fly with HARA, I kept my eye out just in case I spotted one of the models.....not the rockets.

I have 2 versions of the Corporal. Without going home and looking, it seems like one is ~ 1.8" dia. and the other is ~ 2.6". What led to the change?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Is there anything preventing Estes from simply re-releasing the motors? All the engineering is done. When they re-release kits they do all new molds now since they produce at a contract shop in China.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
1) The Dark Star delays were pre-cut to a specific length on an automated remote cutter, and then bonded (not just inserted) into the ejection plug; this prevented some of the issues that Aerotech experienced with hot gasses blowing past the delay and igniting the black powder charge prematurely.

2) Both the propellant and delay formulations were designed by Scott Dixon with a minimum of a 25 year shelf life. The motors should fly well long past the 25 year mark, but there was a conscious effort to formulate with long term aging in mind.

Matt

Great news, and I had forgotten Scott Dixon was involved.

If I get the guts I may fly my Quasar NG on an F62-4 at LDRS

Do you think you could have made a white that lasts? I have some old AT grains that have swelled to about 150% original size.

Do you think you could have made a white that lasts?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Level 5 Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I enjoyed the catalogs and the products. When I visited Huntsville to fly with HARA, I kept my eye out just in case I spotted one of the models.....not the rockets.

I have 2 versions of the Corporal. Without going home and looking, it seems like one is ~ 1.8" dia. and the other is ~ 2.6". What led to the change?

I just liked the bigger size model (2.6" diameter) better.

Matt
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Level 5 Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Is there anything preventing Estes from simply re-releasing the motors? All the engineering is done. When they re-release kits they do all new molds now since they produce at a contract shop in China.

1) Scott Dixon made all the propellant and delay for Estes. He had the formulation, and Estes does not.

2) There is no one at Estes who knows how to make composite propellant now. There are very few people who know how to make production-sized batches of AP/HTPB propellant. It is not as straightforward as scaling up what most EX folks do. It was also more sophisticated than Aerotech's methods (though more expensive than Aerotech's methods). The process used Vulcan
Systems equipment that is no longer available to Estes. And, Scott doesn't want to do small motors or hobby motors anymore. He does work that pays much, much better.

3) The cases used some special engineered materials and were molded in the US. As far as i know, those materials are not available in China, and not able to be exported.

So, no, Estes can't do it anymore.

The current version of NCR could do something very similar from a technical standpoint, if I were so inclined, but the capital costs of re-starting production and re-certifying the motors is cost-prohibitive.

Sorry!

Matt
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Level 5 Certified

Scott Dixon's version of the bright white flame/white smoke "Dragon Fire" propellant was formulated to avoid the aging issues seen in Aerotech's White Lightning propellant.

Despite not having finished his college degree, Scott Dixon is a brilliant chemist and formulator. He holds patents on some unique aspects of propellants.

Matt
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I have some old AT grains that have swelled to about 150% original size.
That's because they use magnesium. Either magnalum or another metal entirely would work. Aluminium works well long term. It also generates white smoke and in small particle sizes it mostly combusts inside. Mg combusts at lower temperatures and L*.

Jerry
Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Scott Dixon is a brilliant chemist and formulator.
I could't agree more. He is some sort of gumstock god too. Been to his shop once. Amazing chemistry set! Purchased epoxy from him he formulated from scratch. Awesome.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 02-23-2017 at 07:39 PM.