Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Master Modeler

Default Working on a Centuri 1/100 Scaled Saturn - V Vintage Kit!

No, it's NOT a clone...since last weekend I've started work on the classic Centuri 1/100 scaled
Saturn - V kit that's been in storage ("still-in-the-box") for some 25+ years. I needed to have a flying Saturn - V model in my fleet, and had to "choose" between this one and the
Estes kit (also "still-in-the-box") .

The only major modifcations I will make on this Saturn - V is the four outboard F1 engine
nozzles will be able to hold an Estes A10-PT for a full, all up clustered model at liftoff (the
standard three engine cluster 18 mm will still apply). That's right, at launch this model will
be a seven engine cluster bird. Projected launch date for the first flight should be sometimes
this spring (NSL - 2006 in McGregor?).

One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins -
meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted
four balsa fins instead. As it stands right now, I have to install the four fin fairings, the system tunnels, launch lugs, and a few other minor stuff and the model will be ready for
the final finishing job.

Wish me luck when the final countdown gets underway!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins - meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted four balsa fins instead.

I wonder if the Moldin Oldies fin and fairing set would have worked in place of the Centuri fins and fairings? They're probably close, being 1/100th scale...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I wonder if the Moldin Oldies fin and fairing set would have worked in place of the Centuri fins and fairings? They're probably close, being 1/100th scale...

I wasn't aware that Moldin Oldies had such a set...I'll go check it out. I've already attached
the balsa replacements and am waiting for the glue(s) to dry completely before I start with
the four fin fairings. Since I could not sand the balsa fins to the exact shape the plastic has,
it's going to be a bit of a challenge to get the fairings to fit properly to the lower wrapons.

If Molding Oldies are compatible, maybe I can consider using them on my unbuilt Estes kit
(I hope to make it - the Estes kit - both cluster for the first stage, multistage for stages
two and three).
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins -
meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted
four balsa fins instead. As it stands right now, I have to install the four fin fairings, the system tunnels, launch lugs, and a few other minor stuff and the model will be ready for
the final finishing job.

Did you call Estes to see if they have any parts for sale for their 2157 kit? It uses the same fins as the Centuri model. The plastic is slightly thinner but made from the same mold of course.

FWIW, you can 95% clone the Centuri kit using the Estes parts, only the capsule is different.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Did you call Estes to see if they have any parts for sale for their 2157 kit? It uses the same fins as the Centuri model. The plastic is slightly thinner but made from the same mold of course.

FWIW, you can 95% clone the Centuri kit using the Estes parts, only the capsule is different.

I've already attached the balsa fins and fin fairings; perhaps when I get around to building the Estes Saturn - V I still have (it's the one from the 1970's, with the embossed paper wrapons), I'll see if they (Estes) can sell me all the body wraps, fins and fairings to better
enhance the model from the scale point of view. I do intend to make a number of modifications to the Estes "older" version kit so improvements across the board will be
obvious.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
No, it's NOT a clone...since last weekend I've started work on the classic Centuri 1/100 scaled
Saturn - V kit that's been in storage ("still-in-the-box") for some 25+ years. I needed to have a flying Saturn - V model in my fleet, and had to "choose" between this one and the
Estes kit (also "still-in-the-box") .

Wish me luck when the final countdown gets underway!

Best of luck with your build Dave

Hope your progress is A LOT faster than mine because I haven't continued after starting way back in the mid 80's

Keep us uptodate incl. pics here please

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo

Hope your progress is A LOT faster than mine because I haven't continued after starting way back in the mid 80's

Keep us uptodate incl. pics here please

Great pic! Mine pretty much looks the same (except I've done no painting yet) plus the
plastic F1 nozzles have been modified to accept the A10-PT's in each (excludes the central
F1) and I used balsa for the fins. I want to redo the LEM adapter by having a little more
detail than what the kit has. Will be getting together with our very own Saturn - V expert,
John Pursley, who happens to live close by, for ideas before any paint goes on.

Truth is, you're much further along with your model than I am...what are you waiting for?!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo

Leo,

Is that an original LJII tube? I thought that the tube came from Centuri with the wrap on it already?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Leo,

Is that an original LJII tube? I thought that the tube came from Centuri with the wrap on it already?

You are correct Scott

... and here it is:

Way way back when I purchased the kit and saw that the wrap was poorly placed on the tube I thought I could carefully remove it and then put it back correctly. Well, guess I was wrong

Nomatter, the tube will look just like the original when I finish painting it, say in about another 20 years or so

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 01-03-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Truth is, you're much further along with your model than I am...what are you waiting for?!

Dunno Sir