Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Master Modeler

Default Semroc???

Anyone having trouble reaching the semroc website?
Was once SAM#0132
Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Craftsman

I just tried, nada. Maybe updating it?
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Craftsman

huh, no more problems. Loads fine.
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Anyone having trouble reaching the semroc website?
Bellsouth was having problems.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc

Thanks
Was once SAM#0132
Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc

Bellsouth has a lot of problems. Unfortunately, for me, Charter is the only other game in town and it has even more problems in this area. Bellsouth seems to drop connections a lot more often lately. Sometimes my router pops right back up with a new connection, sometimes it can't do anything with it and even needs to be reset. Who knows what's going on.

Bellsouth has the worst DNS servers on the planet. They don't seem to think so when asked about it. I'm using Free DNS which works 1,000,000,000% better....yep, one billion percent.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Bellsouth has a lot of problems. Unfortunately, for me, Charter is the only other game in town and it has even more problems in this area. Bellsouth seems to drop connections a lot more often lately. Sometimes my router pops right back up with a new connection, sometimes it can't do anything with it and even needs to be reset. Who knows what's going on.

Bellsouth has the worst DNS servers on the planet. They don't seem to think so when asked about it. I'm using Free DNS which works 1,000,000,000% better....yep, one billion percent.

Is that number exact, or did you do some rounding?

You would think that Bellsouth would give you a break on your bill to compensate for all the downtime...

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Is that number exact, or did you do some rounding?

You would think that Bellsouth would give you a break on your bill to compensate for all the downtime...

Mark

Yep...and the IRS wanted me to keep my taxes this year too.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Master Modeler

Oh, I thought SEMROC's site was getting a lot of hits; maybe our thread on the Thor Agena - B model was the culprit?!

BTW, Carl, my payment for the order for the Thor Agena - B parts is headed your way !
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM
BoRocker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

In regard to Bellsouth....

Approximately 3 weeks ago I woke up to the DSL light flashing on my modem. Not an unusual occurrence I assure you. Most of the time I just reset the modem and all is well. Not this time. I called and went through all of the troubleshooting BS with a young lady who was very nice but whom I could barely understand and was obviously using a checklist.

In the end she determined that my modem was bad and agreed to send me a new one free of charge. I told her that according to her own TS guide I was not getting a signal to the house. She assured me politely that I was wrong and that it was the modem.

Got the new modem....same problem (DUH) so I called back and the tech said they would send someone to the local "hub" and that the issue should be resolved inside of 24 hours.

24 hours later....no joy. New tech said it was definitely my modem!!!??? They sent me a new one (again) and it would not even power up. I was steamed because I knew darn good and well that I simply was not getting a signal to the house and yet another modem was not going to do anything. So now I have one broken modem and 2 good ones but still no DSL.

I called back again and told the tech to put a supervisor on the phone from jump. They transferred me to someone stateside that ran some "line checks" and determined immediately that the problem was local and that the "modem dance" was not necessary and that they would dispatch a tech to my home the following day. It took a total of 3 weeks to get to this point.

The tech showed up and checked the lines and said no signal to the house....DUH!! He located a junction box about 100 yards from the house and fixed the problem in under 10 minutes. A local company and installed some new lines in the box and didn't put everything back correctly.

I am using my original modem and my service is fine but I wish I had another source for DSL here because I would ditch Bellsouth in a heartbeat.
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Anson Heinlein
"Its a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" - MacBeth