Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Sorry, that should be

" Bernard......"

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 PM
Master Blaster

Default Flys Great on a C11

I always built mine with a 24MM mount, and when the Fat C's came out I started flying these
larger birds with the C11-5 . When I was at the larger FSA field in West Palm Beach and it was not windy I would chuck a D12-5 in for a nice high flight. I used to love to drag race the
Patriot and the Big Red Max, both were built using 24 mm mounts.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:16 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Ben,
That is a really nice data page on your link.
Do you do this with all of your flights?
What altimeter do you use?

Quote:
Sorry, that should be

" Bernard......"

I have a friend at church whose given name is Bernard who goes by "Ben" . My eldest daughter, whose given name is Bernadette, does as well.....so no worries.

Those data are via a FlightSketch Mini. One of the unique features of that particular device is the online flight log, one page of which I linked to.

I fly an altimeter of some kind in almost everything I fly these days. My current favorites are the FlightSketch Mini, the Jolly Logic AltimeterThree and the PerfectFlite FireFly. Which one I use depends in part on what the model is and what I'm trying to do (and a little bit on how likely I think the model might be lost on a given flight).

I could go on....but that's the answer to your query.

There are four flights of my Citation Patriot posted on the FlightSketch log site. All four were on Q-Jet D16s. It looks like I have two AltimeterThree flights in the data on my phone - another D16 to just under 600 feet (on July 4th last year) and a C12 to 445 (on Veteran's day in 2018). I'll have to refer to my paper logbook to see what it did on Estes C6-3s, as those flights must have been with a FireFly aboard, so all records are pencil and paper. And this is one model where sometimes I don't bother with the altimeter.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
I stuck with 18mm, mainly because I don't get out to a lot of larger flying fields as often as I would like. Patriots turn in pretty nice flights on a C6.
Plus, I suppose I could plug in a Quest D if I wanted to go a bit higher with it.
I would bet these things would scream on an E motor, or even 29mm Es and Fs!

The very first Aerotech F10 I ever saw fly was at a WUBBA launch, Allentown,PA cica 1983-4

Scott Pearce flew it in an otherwise stock Patriot - never to be seen again, I remember that flight to this day, one of the ones that cemented my involvment in the emerging HPR scene .
Old 09-25-2020, 09:31 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Green Dragon,
This makes me want to grab another Patriot off the HL rack and build it with a 29mm mount for those occasions when I can get down to Pueblo for a SCORE launch.

Bernard,
I, too, am a stickler for keeping all of my flights well documented. I'm a firm believer in Flight Data Sheets. All of my FDSs have entry lines for all of the pertinent information along with a space to affix an image of the model's liftoff.
At the moment, I only have an Estes altimeter, but I understand these aren't exactly the most accurate. Next year I'll be looking into getting a Pnut or a Jolly Logic unit.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
At the moment, I only have an Estes altimeter, but I understand these aren't exactly the most accurate. Next year I'll be looking into getting a Pnut or a Jolly Logic unit.

The issue with the Estes Altimeter is not its accuracy. I have flown them alongside others and when it gives you data at all, it is good data. There are two issues: first, it seems to need to have larger static ports that most - it needs to “see” a faster drop in pressure - to decide it’s flying. Second, it never locks in a reading post-flight. So if you have it in a separate compartment and you open that compartment too quickly (especially while blocking the static ports with your hand) it will alter the reading and you’ll get nonsense. But while I don’t care for the odd replaceable battery and the weight of the thing (the two are related), it works OK if you can get it to read.

The Pnut is the current gold standard of traditional rocket altimeters - ones that don’t connect to a smart phone. That is why it and its siblings the FireFly and APRA are the official devices for TARC. A Pnut (plus the data transfer kit and associated software) can give you LOTS of data to look at.

I could go on, but this is serious thread drift. See my article in the new NAR member guidebook for some more.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE