Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

I have Jupiter C Capsule and BT80 Gemini Capsule and they are very smooth also. The detail is very good also on both capsules. You even have a built in chamber to add weight

I was in the middle of building both rockets from scratch (SA5 & SA7) and I know the fin can would be the a hard part to get right, taking several hours alone.

Alex has made very thing very easy with up to 27 3d printed parts. The built in fuel tank holders was really neat to.

Nice to see someone provide the Saturn 1s for us at that scale. I'm sure he would upscale on special order.

I use to like the 1/70 scale Estes Saturn 1B size, but now, I'm happy with the 1/100 scale size. Goes with my 1/100 Saturn V.

I'm also in the middle of building a 1/100 Saturn 1B with a online 3d printed fin can. I'll finish this one, but will add Boyce Saturn 1B to my line up when it comes out in May
Old 04-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I bought the Dr. Zooch 1/100 SA-5 last year. I’ll definitely buy the one from Boyce. The detail of all the Boyce 3D parts looks quite nice in pictures I’ve seen.

Has anyone here built a Boyce product, and can you describe the surface finish on the parts?
I have a few of Boyce's 3D printed rockets and kits (a Cox Nike-Zeus and a Cox 1:125 scale Apollo-Little Joe II, plus a set of SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage landing legs and grid fins). They all require some sanding, but not much. I was just looking at my Boyce Aerospace Hobbies Apollo-Little Joe II, and--although I'd have to examine its surface with a jeweler's loupe (I'll dig out one of my close-up-viewing monoculars in a moment) to be sure--the plastic "thread" forming the parts appears to be about 1/6 of a millimeter (or less) in diameter (I just held a metric tape measure against its parts, and I couldn't tell exactly how many plastic "threads," side-by-side, spanned a millimeter--they are that fine in size). ADDENDUM:

I just tried to count the number of plastic "threads" per millimeter again, using a close-up-view (2x magnification) monocular, and I still couldn't tell exactly how many "threads" span a millimeter. It looked like five or six. In any event, the surfaces of the Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 3D printed rockets aren't very rough, and don't require laborious amounts of sanding.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 04-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:36 PM

They aren't builder kits for no reason. Lol

Just think also, he can sale the Apollo capsule as a Estes Saturn V replacement or any other 1/100 Saturn 1 SA7, 1B, V and Little Joe II.

For those that just want the fin can to build from or as a replacement for some reason, here it is. The transitions will be much stronger than paper to.

As I mentioned in another post, the time savings with his 3d parts is unbelievable in comparsion to total scratch build project.

On special order, these items could be even be up sized to 1/69, 1/70, 1/72 scale to build a even larger Saturn 1.

I had ordered all the tubes to build these same rockets to include the Saturn 1B about two months ago. Now I'm going with his 3d parts to complete my planed SA5 & 7 instead of doing a total scratch build from the ground up.

The only 3d part that I had was a Shapeway Saturn 1B fin can. I'm going to go ahead and finish that rocket as planed, but I will be getting his redesigned Saturn 1B in May for sure to build a 2nd one.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Hope everyone noticed the two boilerplate live pics. They are really looking good.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Hope everyone noticed the two boilerplate live pics. They are really looking good.

Can you give a place to go to see these pics?
I have been to there site and couldn't find them.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Old BAR

Here you go, Frank!

http://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/

They're on the Home Page. Enjoy!

Allen
Old 04-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Allen, I thought there was some new pics up on these kits. I have been drooling over the two pictures on the home page ever since they were announced. I'm a Saturn 1B style rocket guy. I'm going to be in heaven when I get my hands on these kits. I already have the 50, 70, 58 and BT-19 tubes just waiting to get the go on the 3D printed parts.

Can you tell how excited I am?
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I have a few of Boyce's 3D printed rockets and kits (a Cox Nike-Zeus and a Cox 1:125 scale Apollo-Little Joe II, plus a set of SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage landing legs and grid fins). They all require some sanding, but not much. I was just looking at my Boyce Aerospace Hobbies Apollo-Little Joe II, and--although I'd have to examine its surface with a jeweler's loupe (I'll dig out one of my close-up-viewing monoculars in a moment) to be sure--the plastic "thread" forming the parts appears to be about 1/6 of a millimeter (or less) in diameter (I just held a metric tape measure against its parts, and I couldn't tell exactly how many plastic "threads," side-by-side, spanned a millimeter--they are that fine in size). ADDENDUM:

I just tried to count the number of plastic "threads" per millimeter again, using a close-up-view (2x magnification) monocular, and I still couldn't tell exactly how many "threads" span a millimeter. It looked like five or six. In any event, the surfaces of the Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 3D printed rockets aren't very rough, and don't require laborious amounts of sanding.

Thanks for the feedback. They certainly sound reasonably smooth — especially compared to what I’m familiar with just a couple years ago, in terms of printing quality.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Thanks for the feedback. They certainly sound reasonably smooth — especially compared to what I’m familiar with just a couple years ago, in terms of printing quality.
You're welcome. And I agree--Boyce Aerospace Hobbies' latest 3D printed products have noticeably smoother surfaces than their earliest ones (such as their Cox Nike-Zeus), but even they weren't objectionably rough, requiring about the same--or even less, especially with multiple-grade sanding films, like what Testors sells in sets--effort to sand smooth than, say, die-cut or laser-cut balsa fin sheets.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Thanks, Allen, I thought there was some new pics up on these kits. I have been drooling over the two pictures on the home page ever since they were announced. I'm a Saturn 1B style rocket guy. I'm going to be in heaven when I get my hands on these kits. I already have the 50, 70, 58 and BT-19 tubes just waiting to get the go on the 3D printed parts.

Can you tell how excited I am?
If I might suggest another "new product lobbying effort" to a fellow Saturn IB fancier, directed at Boyce Aerospace Hobbies (it would actually facilitate the creation of ^two^--and possibly three--new Saturn scale kits, as I'll explain):

In L.B. Taylor's 1968 book "Liftoff," plans for the 1970s were discussed, and among these were two equal-performance launch vehicles for lofting interplanetary spacecraft (such as the Helios close-proximity solar probes) and planetary probes (the Viking Mars Orbiter-Lander vehicles, the multiple Grand Tour outer planet--and ultimately interstellar--probes, etc.), and:

The two proposed launch vehicles were the Titan III-Centaur (Titan IIIE) and the Saturn IB-Centaur (a drawing of which, from David S.F. Portree's Spaceflight History website, is attached below). (Interestingly, the earliest Saturn I test vehicles--SA-1 to SA-4 [and possibly SA-5 as well] were Saturn I-Centaur vehicles, having a "live" S-I first stage, a dummy S-IV second stage [which was "live" on SA-5], and a dummy S-III Centaur third stage [which might--or might not--have been considered a dummy S-III stage on the SA-5 vehicle].) Also:

While the Titan IIIE was known--even back in 1968--to be the cheaper of the two, the Saturn IB-Centaur would have had the advantage of keeping the Saturn IB assembly line open in the 1970s, making possible AAP (Apollo Applications Program) missions throughout the 1970s and beyond, if desired (the Saturn IB could have launched a "Wet Workshop," Skylab-type space station, as well as--with separate Saturn IBs, of course--station crews in Apollo CSM spacecraft). Plus:

From the earliest days of the original Saturn I test flights, there were proposals to upgrade the first stage to be reusable (being recovered via a Rogallo para-glider, see: http://www.google.com/search?source...299.p6544WKIh-A ), to lower the launch costs of the vehicle. In those early days, a high flight rate was anticipated--that was one reason why no fewer than three Saturn I launch complexes (LC-34, LC-37A & LC-37B) were built. The Saturn series was also expected to be used for many years, making an upgrade such as the recoverable & reusable first stage (whose structural strength due to its clustered tankage--plus the relatively small performance reduction caused by adding recovery system mass to the first stage [it's about a 1:1 trade-off on the upper stage, by comparison]) a logical next step. In addition:

The Saturn IB-Centaur had a larger payload fairing (21.7' outside diameter, as opposed to 14' for the Titan IIIE), which was the same type as was used for the Skylab-Saturn V vehicle (see: http://www.google.com/search?ei=nZO...i30.iB5qsArb3SU ). Had the Saturn IB-Centaur been adopted instead of the Titan IIIE, outer planet space probes such as the Grand Tour spacecraft (the two-spacecraft Voyager series was/is a pared-down Grand Tour project) could have used considerably larger parabolic "dish" antennas, enabling higher image and data rate transmissions from their target planets (as well as greater communications ranges after the probes escaped from the Solar System). As well:

The proposed Saturn IB-Centaur launch vehicle is covered *here* (in the February 4, 2019 article on David S.F. Portree’s Spaceflight History website, see: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...7540#post227540 ). If Boyce Aerospace Hobbies offered 1:100 and/or 1:125 scale Skylab payload fairings, modelers could--using their already-available Saturn IB models of those scale sizes--build Saturn IB-Centaur scale models (these should be "NAR-Kosher," for those who enjoy scale competition, under the Future-Fiction Scale category [encompassing scale models of proposed-but-never-built, cancelled, existing-but-still-unflown, and fictional vehicles]). They could also, using that same part, build models of the Skylab-Saturn V vehicle (and possibly also models of the SA-203 Saturn IB S-IVB LH2 tank pressure-test flight vehicle [see: http://www.drewexmachina.com/2016/0...apollo-mission/ ; its S-IVB blew apart during the pressure test in orbit], whose nose fairing looked like it may have been the same shape as the Skylab payload fairing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SaturnIBCentaur.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  55.1 KB  
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 04-10-2019 at 02:19 AM.