Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2022, 10:27 PM
Founder, Estes Industries

In an analysis done sometime in the 1970's it was determined that both the Alpha and the Big Bertha were the best all time sellers. I believe the sales analysis was done by Bill Simon. How could both be winners? The Alpha had sold the most number of kits, but the Big Bertha won out in dollars sold. I may still have the survey document. If so, it will likely end up at the Museum of Flight at some future time.

No doubt, if such an analysis could be done today, the Alpha would be the winner in kit sold and probably win out in the dollars sold as well.

I'd still rather fly a Big Bertha. -- Vern
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Old 01-27-2022, 10:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Got me thinking ... I am sure I bought a Big Bertha starter set on ebay once. I searched the internet and apparently it was a 1990 school education kit. BB starter set with 6 engines.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384305285883

Here’s an add for the Teacher’s Starter Set with a BB looking large on a Portapad in the May 1990 edition of The Physics Teacher - nifty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2BF1625B-E789-4D85-AE16-B2D5D92E597D.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  661.1 KB  
Old 01-27-2022, 10:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
In an analysis done sometime in the 1970's it was determined that both the Alpha and the Big Bertha were the best all time sellers. I believe the sales analysis was done by Bill Simon. How could both be winners? The Alpha had sold the most number of kits, but the Big Bertha won out in dollars sold. I may still have the survey document. If so, it will likely end up at the Museum of Flight at some future time.

No doubt, if such an analysis could be done today, the Alpha would be the winner in kit sold and probably win out in the dollars sold as well.

Well, if anyone can claim the right to fly a Big Bertha, you'd be the one!

Thanks so much, as always, Vern for chiming in on the discussions here. It is always good to hear THE definitive answer from THE definitive source!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-28-2022, 07:08 AM
Your typical BAAAR...

Quote:

Ok, well I couldn't ask for a more definitive answer than from the man himself. The Alpha it is. Thank you Vern!
Old 01-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Thank you for clearing that up for us, Vern! I'm sure I mis-remembered what you said.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 AM
Master Blaster

Quote:

Hello Vern, and thank you for all of the great experiences and memories.
I started building and flying model rockets on Dec.24th. 1966, I don't remember when I built my first Alpha or Bertha, but I do know that I have built many over the years.
I have attached some pictures of my Pride Built Models from over the years, I hope you enjoy looking at them. Thank You again and God Bless you and Gleda. Neal Miller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0302.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  575.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0308.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  887.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Classic 60's Bertha.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  613.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0416.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  588.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BIG BERTHA 1970.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  33.8 KB  
Old 01-28-2022, 06:53 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

There's an interesting philosophical question here. Do you by the starter kit for the rocket or the pad and launcher? As a Cub Scout in the 70's being handed your box, did you care what was inside?

So wouldn't it seem that the best-seller should be single units only, starter sets excluded?

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 01-28-2022, 11:45 PM
Master Modeler

I've done it both ways. When I was first starting out it was probably mainly for the GSE (though I may in fact have gotten one of the early Alpha starter sets not only for the Electro-Launch but for the Alpha itself). I frankly don't remember — it was 1967 and I was in Jr. High at the time.

I know that in my BAR period I have on a couple of occasions bought launch sets because it was (at the time) the only way to get the rocket. I think the current Astrocam rocket was the most recent example of that. Of course it's been released separately since then, and more recently the camera itself with a more universally usable mount...but that's for a different thread's discussion.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE