Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Master Modeler

Default John Boren Interview On The Model Rocket Show

Some tantalizing stuff from JB’s interview on TMRS 3.1:

- A new upscale using the 3” PSII DBRM nose cone. Which will it be? Here’s an edited list of most of the kits that used the 60AH cone, my guess is the Maxi Icarus or the Omega but wouldn’t an upscaled Patrol Cruiser Excalibur be awesome? Unlikely but awesome.

Patriot
Omega
Renegade
Mean Machine
Blue Ninja
Maxi Icarus
Patrol Cruiser Excalibur
Long John Silver
Arrow
Army Hawk
Screamin' Mimi

So what’s your guess?

- the new 29mm F50-ish motor is pretty much done testing and coming in the next year or so.

- a two-stage “minimum diameter” which I assume is BT-60 based, PSII kit.

- as has been discussed many, many times the “classic” plywood parts PSII kits - Leviathan, Argent, Ventris etc won’t be back unless Estes comes up with motors to fly them.

- Boren pretty much came out and said that the Mercury Atlas is coming soon.

- glider and helicopter kits don’t sell well but John loves designing them so we’ll keep seeing them but not too many at a time.

- a possible sci-fi kit that JB hasn’t shown management yet that he said was even more intricate than the QCC Explorer and the Black Star Voyager (his favorite design, by the way).

- a possible new scale sounding rocket.

- JB talked about Estes’ efforts to work out licensing with aerospace companies for additional scale kits. He talked at length about his personal Soyuz build.

- some possible new building tools - I’m betting sets of the slip-on style fin alignment tools.

- bring-backs will be one or two a year or every two years - John related he likes upsizing the bring-backs, they’re more interesting to design.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:05 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My guess is that it WON’T be a 3” Mean Machine. It would be almost 12 feet tall! My guess would be the Citation Patriot. A Patrol Cruiser Excalibur would be awesome!

If it’s a Maxi Icarus, I’ll hold off on an upscale. It’s one of the first decals I scanned and cut on my Cricut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  06FAAD20-A61D-46CC-8CD8-A1EAE76B16A2.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  363.3 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My guess is that it WON’T be a 3” Mean Machine. It would be almost 12 feet tall! My guess would be the Citation Patriot. A Patrol Cruiser Excalibur would be awesome!

If it’s a Maxi Icarus, I’ll hold off on an upscale. It’s one of the first decals I scanned and cut on my Cricut.

The packaging alone probably makes a Bg MM impractical but it certainly would be something different.

James Duffy pointed out on TRF that the 55AO cone has almost the same shape which opens up another list of possibilities - Big BOMARC would be awesome but an upsized Space Station Aquarius would be my jam.

Maxi Icarus is still my bet though a 3” Omega would be ok too.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:05 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Some tantalizing stuff from JB’s interview on TMRS 3.1:

Where might one find this podcast? It isn't showing up on my podcast feed, and there is nothing new on the TMRS website.

Hmmm,
James
Old 09-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Where might one find this podcast? It isn't showing up on my podcast feed, and there is nothing new on the TMRS website.

Hmmm,
James

I’m a patron - we get stuff a bit early on Patreon.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:53 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

The minimum diameter PSII kit is probably the one show in the NARCON video from earlier this year. I'm attaching a screen grab from the video that shows the kit, albeit not the highest quality pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  so long.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  61.2 KB  
Old 09-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
The minimum diameter PSII kit is probably the one show in the NARCON video from earlier this year. I'm attaching a screen grab from the video that shows the kit, albeit not the highest quality pic.

Turbo,

I agree that the SO LONG kit is the new PSII minimum diameter kit.

The SO LONG model is two stage 29mm motor powered. It uses 29mm tubes and a new long cone shaped nose cone. It will go over 3000 feet with 'F' motors.

In the 'old days' Estes had body tubes with a 29mm I.D. They were known as BT-52. Hmmm. Another possible source for 29mm motor tubes.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:30 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR

Badboy Rocketry already has the Citation Patriot covered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3252543674...AAOSwBP1iW6u m
(note that you need a Der Big Red Max kit and Sticker Shock decals to complete the rocket).

I built one recently - it came out real nice (the laser cut plywood parts are of good quality) - flew it over the weekend at Sod Busters on an H128W - flew beautifully.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:21 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk

Here's a video of the prototype of the Galactic Manufacturing Citation Patriot flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezc9_q-QnaU
Old 09-08-2022, 12:50 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball

Love the name! I am not sure I’d be too confident successfully recovering this one!

I built a minimum diameter rocket for F15s this year, but have yet to fly it. (I have not launched a rocket since March, but may launch it next week.)
I figured this one could be a challenge to successfully fly, but it will be streamer recovery. It’s hard to photograph this rocket. Color is Tamiya Fluorescent Red, the glossiest, brightest paint I have ever used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  FDA28895-44AA-495A-890C-04D69819F16E.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  1.94 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp