Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Master Modeler

I think I just ran out of excuses.

If there is any interest I have the Pershing II Design Configuration document from April 1979. It is 6MB so posting is not possible, but if your email account can handle it and you want to know everything from the impact fuze configuration and RAM sensor to the tire pressure on the EL, then let me know. And you will be able to construct both the air burst and ground penetrator nose cones...
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
You know . . . .

Probably the only problem with Sandman's kits (and I'm not the only one who thinks so) is that you open this box with some of the most beautifully machined balsa parts you have ever laid eyes on and then you look over your most recent builds with warpped fins, balsa grain showing and runs in the paint and you think to yourself "I don't have game for this." and you set it aside because no person wants to be the one who marred such a thing of beauty.

No kidding, I have a Sandman Pershing IA, Soyuz and Nike Herc and as mentioned the parts for a Pershing II sitting next to my computer. These are the rockets I've always dreamed of building since I was a kid. And my first thought every time I've opened the box is "Oh God, please don't let me screw this one up." I've studied the build instructions and have practiced on less ambitious rockets the techniques of cardstock details and glue dot bolt-heads (with GREAT results on a Semroc IQSY and a Maxi-V2) and I think I'm ready to tackle the Pershings. I do know that I need much more practice before my Sandman Soyuz looks like Chan Stevens' Sandman Soyuz or jharding's Sandman Nike.

Heck, if you guys had seen some of the first few rockets I built after I came back, you probably would have taken Sandman's kits away from me . . . .

Come on! Build them before I die.

I'm not getting any younger!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think I just ran out of excuses.

If there is any interest I have the Pershing II Design Configuration document from April 1979. It is 6MB so posting is not possible, but if your email account can handle it and you want to know everything from the impact fuze configuration and RAM sensor to the tire pressure on the EL, then let me know. And you will be able to construct both the air burst and ground penetrator nose cones...

You know my email.

Please, send it to me.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Master Modeler

I think if Estes ever does a Pershing it's going to be the Pershing 1A because it's WAY cooler the the Pershing II. At least I think so and that's what counts in my book.

John Boren
Estes R&D
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Hmmmm . . .

Sorry to hear that, John. There's no Pershing Ia inside at the Smithsonian or outside at White Sands so it can't be that cool.

But a Pershing Ia is colorful and I presume the mold for the nose still exists so it would be cheaper.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

Not sure that the cool factor led to the display at NASM. P II was the missile system specifically named by the USSR in the INF treaty. Purely and simply they wanted it gone. The NASM display (which was an inert trainer) came about due to the exchange program with the Soviets - they got a P II, we got an SS-20. I think about 15 Pershing II were saved from destruction; the casings were cleared and the warheads transferred into shapes for the Air Force.
P 1 and 1a were effective weapons in a tactical battlefield scenario but the P II scared the hell out of them Reds. When you go to the Missile Park at White Sands read the plaque for the Pershing II. Paraphrased it states that a Pershing II fired from Boise Idaho could accurately strike a target the size of the park in which you are standing - about a 200 foot CP
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I think if Estes ever does a Pershing it's going to be the Pershing 1A because it's WAY cooler the the Pershing II. At least I think so and that's what counts in my book.

I agree!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Probably the only problem with Sandman's kits (and I'm not the only one who thinks so) is that you open this box with some of the most beautifully machined balsa parts you have ever laid eyes on . . . .

Sandman's kits are themselves works of art .... there's really no reason to build them.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Master Modeler

I believe tht I have provided all who asked with a copy of the Design Specification document. aIf you submitted a PM or email request and did not receive the documents please let me know.