Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Default Estes 1974 Custom Parts Catalog revisited

In another thread I had requested information on three of the six rocket drawings on the cover of the Estes 1974 Custom Parts Catalog. To summarize, the three drawings on the right are well know "Design of the Month" plans. The three on the left have never to my knowledge been seen anywhere other than that cover. Since I've been chewing on Mike Dorffler's ear lately I decided to ask if he knew the origin of the drawings and with his permission here is his answer,

Quote:
"Those designs were examples from Wayne Kellner's creative mind - they were never free plans that I am aware of or can remember. Wayne was a prolific sketcher of hypothetical futuristic designs. He built and flew many of his ideas that would unfortunately end up on top of his file cabinets to collect dust. Many of them really should have become kits.

I will always maintain Wayne Kellner was the greatest model rocket kit designer of all time. No one, and I mean no one, comes close. As hard as I tried, I couldn't match his creative skills. I eventually resigned myself to handling the technical end such as cameras and scale projects, and left the futuristic and out of the box stuff to Wayne. In the end I think the modelers got a much better mix of neat stuff with our joint sharing of product ideas, and how they were executed. "

When you look at the list of kits Wayne designed in this Launch Magazine Bill Simon interview it's hard to argue Mike's point. I can just imagine the cool designs sitting on those file cabinets.

Attached is a scan of the three drawings I am referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  74-Parts-Catalog-web.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  51.2 KB  
Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Master Modeler

Those are great designes. The middle one looks like it use the nose cone of the Interceptor. I wish we knew what the back end look like. The bottom one looks alot like the Orbital Interceptor and the top model nose cone looks somewhat like the one on the Firecat only with a point. That's the one I would want to build.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Here is a link to the thread I started on the dual boost glider design fore reference. I split the two gliders apart so one could what the separate gliders looked like.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...s+parts+catalog

I always thought the Orbital Interceptor was loosely based on the F-104 Starfighter. The bottom design on the parts catalog is similar especially with the T tail, but I think it's cooler looking with the swept forward wings.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Master Modeler

I think I'll try to build the INVADER. It looks like a good winter project.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I've already collected most of the parts for the dual glider. It will probably be a winter project.

btw - it looks like the Invader has the Sky Dart 'air ducts' on the side, so I'm guessing the main body tube is the same as the Sky Dart, BT-50.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Master Modeler

I have a FlisKits Adfecta nose cone that is made for a BT-20 but I tryed it in a BT-50 and it gives the look for the front of the Invader rocket. I agree about the Sky Dart 'air ducts' on the side, and the size of the body tube I'm thinking the length of the body tube might be the same as the Sky Dart 12.7 inches long. The Tubes on the fins I'm guessing are BT-20 and I was thinking of useing MMX T-2 for the inside tubes. The fins is just getting the right shapes and size.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I noticed those "SkyDart" air ducts as well on that design. I might have to try one of those.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !