Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Craftsman

Hi Mark,

I just took out a year subscription! Thanks, can't wait to read it in Sept.

Mark
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Master Modeler

Moi aussi - looks like some mighty good reading!

Imagine - a magazine that will be mostly LPR!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I remember the space age

I have to say, the response today has been wonderful. Thanks to everyone. And it's very true that Scott has been keeping this secret since May. (Thanks, Scott, and thanks now for helping us get the word out.)

And just a couple of notes: Jay, I bet I've read your Sport Rocketry story on Lee Piester at least 10 times. In fact, as Matt Steele and I were consulting on questions we had to include in the interview with Lee, I kept going back to your article. I've also looked over Terry Dean's model rocketry history timeline post here . I even cross-checked some dates in our articles against that timeline. (Terry, the check's in the mail.... ha)

And finally, to answer Don's question: Yes, the first issue that subscribers receive will be the premier issue, the one we'll debut at NARAM. It will be mailed to subscribers on Monday, August 7, immediately following NARAM, so hopefully you should receive it later that week. (If you can't wait, you can always find someone heading to NARAM and get 'em to pick up an extra issue for you.) We mentioned in some of our materials that it will be available nationally on September 1, but that generally refers to selected hobby shops, newsstands, etc. Subscribers will already have it. Whew!
Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Cool *That's* stinkin' cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
Jay, I bet I've read your Sport Rocketry story on Lee Piester at least 10 times. In fact, as Matt Steele and I were consulting on questions we had to include in the interview with Lee, I kept going back to your article.
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Those 3300 words on 6 pages were mostly the result of a 20-minute interview with Lee on Memorial Day Weekend 4 years ago. After spending time with him and Betty during NARCON 2006 (and a few phone calls with Betty beforehand), I came to the realization that I should have interviewed *both of them TOGETHER,* because their collective memories help fill in all the blanks.

You can imagine how I felt when Lee said that while he was preparing his talk for NARCON, he consulted my article to get a feel for the chronological order of things. After I introduced him just before his talk, he told me "Thanks for getting everything *mostly* right in that article." (Some of the timeline is off, and Lee sold Centuri in 1971, instead of '72. Both Lee and Betty said it was 18 months after Vern sold Estes on September 27, 1969. [Date courtesy Mike Maurer.] We had difficulty nailing some of the events down. I accept full responsibility.)

So thanks again!

(sly look) I'm sure you'll be posting your submission guidelines, no doubt. (innocent look)

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 07-12-2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Correcting sale date
Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Question

How can I get the subscription to Germany?

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
I remember the space age

Jay,
The article was excellent and I think Lee considers it his return to model rocketry. It's one of the first things he mentioned when I first called him about the LAUNCH story. I had already read your story several times by then.

And you'll see from his comments with Matt for LAUNCH that he was completely knocked out and thrilled by the reception at NARCON. I wish I had been there. And you're right about Betty's involvement in helping to start Centuri, etc.. (Just as Gleda did with Estes Industries. In our article, she discusses working the night shift. Pretty wild.)

As for submissions guidelines, they go something like this: "Send us a good story!!" (But we'll post guidelines soon on the website, and probably here, too.)

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 AM
I remember the space age

And to answer Leo's question: We're working on posting the international subscription details. Just trying to get answers from the U.S. Postal Service regarding intl. mailing rates. We should have it posted on the website within a day or two.
Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Mark,

Since the magazine is looking at modroc history, I trust you have Danny Sagsetter's Rocketeer Collector's Journal. It is a good resource.
I subscribed last night. Looking forward to talking with you at NARAM.

Chas
Charles Russell
Old 07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
Jay,
The article was excellent and I think Lee considers it his return to model rocketry. It's one of the first things he mentioned when I first called him about the LAUNCH story.
Jay,

How cool is *that*??
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I remember the space age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Mark,

Since the magazine is looking at modroc history, I trust you have Danny Sagsetter's Rocketeer Collector's Journal. It is a good resource.
I subscribed last night. Looking forward to talking with you at NARAM.

Chas
Charles Russell

Chas,

Thanks for subscribing! And yes, I do have Danny's Journal, and in fact, we're publishing a photo of several of his covers with a note thanking him for inspiring some of the things we'll be doing with LAUNCH. It was an excellent journal and my old copies are dog-eared now because I've referred to them so often. (People on the Metro North trains in New York are used to seeing me thumbing through those journals on my way back-and-forth from work. )

Mark