Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Craftsman

Default A couple of Russian-made rocket plastic kits

This past weekend, I happened across a flea market seller offering kits from a late collector who passed away leaving hundreds of kits of armor, space craft, ships, & aircraft of all kinds that his family sold en mass to this dealer. I bought a few things, including a couple of plastic, 1:288 Russian rocket kits made by a Russian manufacturer. They're OK little kits in water-damaged boxes that were still a steal at $1 each...

The Proton-K with Mir is pretty easy to identify. The other space-shuttle-like vehicle atop an Energia lifter has me perplexed, though. It looks like the Buran, but it's much smaller and has swept-up wings, and is oddly perched atop the Energia. Anyone know what this little shuttle thing is? If I'm reading the larger name properly, it's "Lightning".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Russian Pair.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  218.6 KB  

My Rocketreviews.com Gallery
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Craftsman

The Proton-K is about 6 inches tall when built, and has a nice launch pad included. The detail is nice even if the kit is rather small. Painting it with nice, thin coats of paint that won't obscure the detail will be a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Proton Mir Parts.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  256.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Proton Mir Instructions.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  416.7 KB  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Craftsman

The Energia & little 'shuttle' look to build about 8 inches tall, not including the elaborate launch pad that even includes blast diverters. I'm looking forward to building this one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Shuttle parts.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  237.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Shuttle instructions.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  309.4 KB  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Craftsman

The box art on these is really nice. Too bad the boxes are so badly warped. Maybe I'll flatten them and put them in frames for display. I got a third as well - a slightly different Proton that was still wrapped but a little squished. I'll take shots of it later.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroRay
The Proton-K is about 6 inches tall when built, and has a nice launch pad included. The detail is nice even if the kit is rather small. Painting it with nice, thin coats of paint that won't obscure the detail will be a challenge.

Do you think an airbrush would be a good start? At least you might be able to control paint volume better.
Allen
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Craftsman

Yeah, an airbrush is my plan. Actually, it'll be my first use of my new airbrush setup, probably.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroRay
"...The other space-shuttle-like vehicle atop an Energia lifter has me perplexed, though. It looks like the Buran, but it's much smaller and has swept-up wings..."

The Russians are actively working on a mini-shuttle for operations to the ISS and beyond, and your model is of the early development concept. It's called MAKS.

Webpage for Eneregia-MAKS

You might also want to check out the designs of BOR-4 and BOR-5, which actually flew back in the 1980's. Very similar.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
BAR

Yeah, goes hand in hand with their Spiral spaceplane development that went back to the mid-60's... sort of a forerunner of both their shuttle and MAKS... and the BOR test vehicles. Heck their history with spaceplanes goes back to basically the dawn of the space age... the Raketoplan and Kosmoplan were both spaceplane proposals back around the time the Vostok was just coming on line... Raketoplan was to be a "military" spaceplane to Low Earth Orbit with folding wings for reentry... Kosmoplan was to be a LUNAR CAPABLE version that was also to be used for MARS missions...

Ambitious, weren't they???

The Russians have done a lot of cool stuff...

The rocket it's on looks cool... that's an Energia-M if I'm not mistaken... Energia, built as an HLV for their Buran shuttle, was too big and too expensive for them to keep operating (just as our shuttle was, basically, and as our SLS HLV based on the shuttle hardware is turning out to be as well... we never learn). Anyway, they "downsized" the Energia to twin Zenit boosters (with flybacks proposed) and a single-engine core vehicle trying to make it cheap enough to survive... none flew, though they did built some fit-up test articles before the program was cancelled... Basically a bigger version of the Ariane 5...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Craftsman

Thanks for the info on the MAKS, gentlemen!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

These look like very interesting kits.
What might the chances be of cloning these? Or do they have specialized parts that need to be mimicked in some way?